Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 1989 zx600 this summer, and I've been having a few issues with it. Sometimes, after the bike is warm, it will crank and not start. Once, the tach went all crazy before the bike was even on...

I figured that it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter and hose, and the bike seems to be running fine. I'm just dreading getting stuck somewhere with the bike not starting (which has happened before).

Bike starts GREAT cold, even without the choke. Only has issues when warm.

I did some research and found that a lot of people with similar problems found it was the starter solenoid? Apparently its a common issue with the 80's zx series?

Also, my bike has a vacuum connection on the petcock that isn't connected to anything. It was just plugged when I bought the bike. Is it possible that it may help to connect the vacuum to the carbs?

Any insight would be great!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Check the voltage at the starter relay and solenoid. If the voltages are low, dat shit wont work.

You may be able to tap on the relay or solenoid and get it to turn over, like 7 owners often have to do. As for the petcock, if it runs then it means fuel is flowing. Connecting the vacuum line wouldn't do anything. Something in there has been rigged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something is wack on the starter relay and solenoid, voltage is low as well. It even turns off the bike if it gets pushed on... I found a couple cheap parts on ebay, I'll see if that solves the problem! I'll check in when I get the parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it seems that a new selenoid has solved my problem! Starts right up (or has for the last couple days) with the new selenoid.

But, a new problem has arisen:

Sometimes when accelerating (and downshifting), the engine will suddenly die, tach will fall to zero, and then the bike will suddenly come back to life. Its quite scary and almost bucked me right before a turn.

The rest of the electronics stay on when this happens... any ideas on what I might be dealing with? I checked the battery for loose connections, as well as the wiring. Could it be my grounds?

Any more help would be awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts