Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got myself a ZX9R E1 as a Christmas present.. unfortunately she has been parked over the past few years with no basic maintenance.

We got the bike started and ive been riding it over the past few days on a daily basis. The battery went low yesterday and have replaced it with a new one today... on starting up .. i got a big bang backfire ... she started up after... could it be due to the build up of pressure in the cylinders?.. she was not starting up yesterday and just kept cranking.. Took her for a spin and she knocked and went off in the second... felt like a fuel pump issue... i managed to bump start it again and bring her back home.. but shes sounding a bit rough after that ....

Another issue im facing is at about 3.5 - 4k RPM .. she gets jerky like no proper airflow.. i've ordered a new air filter but its difficult to get new parts for a beast like this in India and it takes time...

Any tips and Advise is most welcome..

Cheers
Varun

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,875 Posts
Probably a fuel pump issue. Check the fuel filter first for contamination and the fuel pump relay. I had a big bang issue/symptom on my 7. It turned out to be a failing fuel pump. It caused the engine to run lean and eventually... BANG. No start because of no fuel.

Clean and sync the carbs. Might as well go ahead and install a Factory Pro jet kit to help with the jerky-ness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts