Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to start off its a 2000. whenever it gets up to running temp it stalls out and dies. it does it while idling or while moving. throwing the choke on kills it aswell. the only way it stays alive is if i keep on the gas...any ideas.. i looked around didnt see to much on it

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Do you by chance know what your idle mixture screws and float heights are set too?

Definately flooding out once it gets hot, and those two areas would be your first to diagnose.

A second concern would be vapor locking...

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I would turn the pilot screws in about 1/2 a turn. See what that does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So did some digging i found oil in my air box.. and then found a ton of gas in my oil...my guess would be a headgasket..never done one on a bike any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Not that. sounds like your petcock is leaking and you are running way rich.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i just changed it a few days ago and changed the oil and then let it run for a few minutes then it died again and it looks like theres gas in the oil once again

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Not that. sounds like your petcock is leaking and you are running way rich.
More like the needle valves aren't seating, causing the pump to push gas past them and into the engine. While the bike is idling, that is WAY too much fuel, but while at speed it might not be much of a problem.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Sounds like it Squidge

·
Registered
449 Posts
More like the needle valves aren't seating, causing the pump to push gas past them and into the engine. While the bike is idling, that is WAY too much fuel, but while at speed it might not be much of a problem.
I agree. I had this problem with mine. Floats were leaking and this allowed fuel into the engine and into the oil. One could smell the gas in the oil.

You'll need to purchase (overpriced) carb rebuild kits. While you're at it, look at your petcock too, to make sure it's not leaking as well. Do a thorough job of cleaning the carbs while you're in there. And be sure to install all the new o-rings in their correct order upon reassembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts