Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my lock cylinder in my gas cap wont unlock anymore. It's been rough since I bought the bike, and it was always a pain at the pump. It had a tendancy to twist my only key pretty bad, now it's just pretty frozen up, even after blasting it with oil. Decided to go with a keyless cap, which seem to be tough to find for a 97. A new OEM cap would be $60, the vortex caps cost about $150 if I could find one to fit a 97. Just ordered an SSR cap off ebay for $60. They look about as nice as the vortex, guess I'll find out when it shows up. Anybody have any experience with these?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't have any experience with that cap but I have experience with the factory cap being hard to open. When you get your new one mounted, post a pic or 2 & let us know how well it works. I may be getting one in the not to distant future. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll definately post some pics when I get it on. If I remember correctly I had to have the cap open to actually get it off the tank when I painted the bike. If that's the case I hope I can get the cap to open one last time without twisting my key off in it.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Go get a copy of the key first xD

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
i got a ssr fuel cap for my 98 tank on my E1..ive been having problems with my bike surging and acting like its running lean..soo i drained my tank into a 2L clear pop bottle to see if theyre was crud in my tank..my tank acted like it ran out of fuel after pouring for about 5 secs..wtf?? i take the cap of and sss like a pop bottle opening..the damn breather valve on the cap doesnt do its job...soo just be aware of this cap..do the test first before you take it out for a ride!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't get the factory cap open to get it off the tank. Think I'm gonna have to hammer a screwdriver into the lock to get it to turn. Here's pics of the cap itself. Curious to hear if the cap wound up working out for ya johnnylew. I can see how the breather could be a problem. Looks like it vents from the base into the cap, but the cap seals with an o ring.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I played around with the ball bearing vents..theres a little nutsert u can take out with small allen head..its just a spring and ball bearing but the damn ball bearing wouldnt move one the one because of some burs in the hole from when the thing was made..played around with it and it seems fine..not going to breather as good as oem but what can ya do..as for your lock..maybe try drilling abit into that key hole rather than smackin the tank to much..just a thaught hope it works out

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wondered about that ball bearing, at least if it acts up I know where to look. I wondered about drilling the lock, I figured if I drilled it out completely there wouldn't be anything left to turn to get the cap open. I've sprayed so much oil in it I'm surprised it won't open. I'm gonna get a copy of my key made and hopefully it will be strong enough to open the cap without breaking off. I wanna ride damnit:banghead

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the old cap off!:crazyloco Don't know what made it happen, maybe just hours of frustration. Finally the key turned more than 45 degrees and then I managed to turn it the rest of the way. Now I don't ever have to worry about that again. I should get to fire it up after work, I'll take johnnylew's advice and test it out in the parking lot before I hit the road.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cap looks good! I think it vents properly, I haven't taken it out for a spin yet but I changed the oil and let it run for awhile, seems to run the same as before. All in all a good inexpensive replacement.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the bike out earlier and it ran just fine. Very happy with this cap for the price. Beats the hell outta $150 for a similar cap. So if you're on a budget and want to replace the sticky factory gas cap this is a great way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts