Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy recently gave my a 95 ZX-11, not running. And like the gear-head I'am, i thought i could fix it with a hammer and a butter-knife. So i started to tare the engine apart. Being my first motorcyle engine, it was quite differant. so i got the head off then the barrels/sleeves. Then i noticed that piston #3 was all scratched up. so i continued on with the tare-down got the case split and so on.

Now my question(s) is/are, is the a good online store where i can buy a rebuild-kit ?? or whats the best way to get this bike running on a budget ??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ewww! The dreaded #3 rod! These things are notorious for chucking #3. I bought 3 motors (for parts) that have been the same. Two had big holes in the case. Stash the butterknife, get out the good tools and take notes.
Pull the rod out and carefully check the crank. Have it miked if necessary. If it's servicable, get it polished and fully cleaned.
How's the cylinder? Hopefully it's honable. If you have to bore it oversize, might as well go with an 1109 kit. You'll also have to fix the problem that caused #3 to go south. Usually it's the oil tube-to-#4 Main cap not being lined up (factory defect) that you'll have to align with a die grinder.
How many miles are on this thing? You may have to go through the head, undercut the trans, etc. Be as anal retentive as possible with cleanliness. I don't have a good source for cheap parts, but some of the other forum dudes probably do. Have patience (or some liquid patience) and you should be ok.
T.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So today i got the case split and come to my attention that the problem was not a spun bearing but a broken crank-shaft. does any one know where i can get one of these at a decent price

·
Registered
449 Posts
Man, I keep hearing about #3 here and there. I wonder if all 11's have this problem? I hope mine stays tight. I really hate to get my new zx12 a year early><>><>><> he he~

·
Registered
8 Posts
#3 seems to be a problem with a bunch of Kawasaki's bigger bikes. #4 main doesn't get oil from the rest of the mains. It gets oil from a bunch of tubes that are routed all over the place. If the tubes don't line up correctly or have a bit too much metal where they are brazed together, they starve the main and #3 rod. I've seen a number of main caps that are drilled a bit off. The feed tube doesn't line up evenly and the oil doesn't flow correctly. Usually this isn't a problem until you get into a bit of a starvation situation (like wheelies). Solution? Fix the alignment problem (necessitating pan removel and a bit of porting). Check the #4 main oil feed hole and the corresponding tube feeding it. Sometimes the tube needs a bit of cleaning up too. Also, it doesn't hurt to run good synthetic and fill it to the top of the sight glass. There are lots of forums around that discuss this and also a variety of remedies. Mr. Turbo chose to create a bypass oil pan that fed a 'firehose' worth of oil to #4, but I am of the opinion that fixing the problem is a better choice. Do it right or do it over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW, I saw a good crank on ebay the other day. I sent mine to APE in Cal and had them micro-polish it and lighten it. I'll have it back together as soon as I get my pistons back from HPC (graphite coating the skirts).

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a complete motor has been rebuilt and had a few things done to it
i would like to sell wat i have left of my bike
so if u would rather get a new motor let me know moparman48081 yahoo
josh

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
i have a complete motor has been rebuilt and had a few things done to it
i would like to sell wat i have left of my bike
so if u would rather get a new motor let me know moparman48081 yahoo
josh
Josh, how many miles? What year? What condition? Is it stock? How much $ you want for it? And what "rebuilt" process did it went through?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys...I have had 3 zx11s and had one of them fall victim to the #3. I discovered a remedy a few years back while on one of these forums. It's called an oil pressure relief valve. It's from Kawi and runs $30. I bought mine from the dealer and installation was simple. Just had to remove the oil pan. Hope this helps....been a while since I've been on here..but hoping to purchase a nice D2 I just found.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts