Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell it is time to change sprockets on your bike i know the chains bad but here are some pics of the front and rear sprockets

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When they get all weird and pointy looking.

You really should replace the sprockets when replacing the chain, but if you're on a budget I would still run those sprockets wih a new chain.

If new sprockets are what you want I would run either 16/45 or 15/45

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The 16/43 is somewhat a lazy gearing. 16/45 has good punch with decent cruising rpm. 15/45 has fantastic acceleration and is still good for highway rpm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When your sprockets start wearing, you'll notice a "shark fin" start to take shape on each tooth. In the photos you provided, you can see it on the front sprocket clearly. On the rear photo, it can be seen as well but not as much as the front. Neither look super bad in the photos, but the front looks to be more worn (as would be expected if both sprockets you're using are steel, which they are).

In general, as mentioned above, if you're replacing a chain, replace the sprockets. Personally, I would replace the front one for sure if you're replacing the chain... the rear (for me) would be optional unless it is showing similar wear as the front (hard to tell).

The other thing I'd recommend is doing a better job at chain maintenance. It doesn't take but a few minutes each week or after about 600-800 miles of riding to clean it up and re-lube.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
In the photos you provided, you can see it on the front sprocket clearly.
I disagree, the angle the photo was taken makes it appear to be worn/bent...

But if you look at the shape of the face of the tooth, and the ones starting to go up into the chain that does not look worn at all. The angle makes them appear to be shaped in what would be the reverse direction - as if the visible teeth are bent "up" (on the right side there). If they were actually worn/bent that direction, he would have to be running in reverse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I disagree, the angle the photo was taken makes it appear to be worn/bent...

But if you look at the shape of the face of the tooth, and the ones starting to go up into the chain that does not look worn at all. The angle makes them appear to be shaped in what would be the reverse direction - as if the visible teeth are bent "up" (on the right side there). If they were actually worn/bent that direction, he would have to be running in reverse.
Could be a bad camera angle, so I'm not sure either one of us could conclude either way. Bottom line is, as I mentioned, if the teeth are starting to take shape of a "shark fin", they are beginning to wear.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Could be a bad camera angle, so I'm not sure either one of us could conclude either way. Bottom line is, as I mentioned, if the teeth are starting to take shape of a "shark fin", they are beginning to wear.
Yeah, but I don't think they are at all on his lol.

I showed him a picture illustrating what you are saying in one of his other threads though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, but I don't think they are at all on his lol.

I showed him a picture illustrating what you are saying in one of his other threads though.
Yeah... agree... If you look at the front sprocket picture, the teeth in the upper right look like they could have wear... but the teeth in the lower right really don't look like it. So you very well could be right.

And a picture does speak a thousand words, sending him what it really looks like worn will give him enough info to know when it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i ordered a chain and sprocket set yesterday and decided that heck i just got it and dont know the condition of how it was beaten so i replace it all rear bearing to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts