Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im having a little dilema i have a 07zx6r with K&N, pc 3, yosh pipe, but im debating weather or not I should put on a chain and sprocket. The reason why im hesitating to put it on is becasue my buddy who works on bikes says that theyre not good for your engine and that it can help blow your engine up. My other buddy says that i really need it for acceleration which i would like but damn:banghead. I dont really want to mess my bike up so let me here what all you guys think who have more experience or who are bike mechanics. :rofl

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would heartily recommend having a chain and sprocket otherwise the engine is not connected to the rear wheels and it will rev a bit freely :rotflmao .

But I assume you mean you wish to change the sprockets to alter the bikes acceleration and top speed. I am not an expert at this but as the engine is only doing the same revs (the back wheel speed will of course be altered due to a differing ratio) I can not see how a change of sprockets can damage your engine assuming they're fitted right of course.
Only thing to take into account is that your speedo will no longer read correct (assuming it ever did) and if this is important to you you will need to fix a calibration box to adjust the speedo accuracy (easier than it sounds).

Hope this sheds some light, I dare say you will get some expert opinion as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would heartily recommend having a chain and sprocket otherwise the engine is not connected to the rear wheels and it will rev a bit freely :rotflmao .

But I assume you mean you wish to change the sprockets to alter the bikes acceleration and top speed. I am not an expert at this but as the engine is only doing the same revs (the back wheel speed will of course be altered due to a differing ratio) I can not see how a change of sprockets can damage your engine assuming they're fitted right of course.
Only think to take into account is that your speedo will no longer read correct (assuming it ever did) and if this is important to you you will need to fix a calibration box to adjust the speedo accuracy (easier than it sounds).

Hope this sheds some light, I dare say you will get some expert opinion as well.
First of all, I wanted to make the smartass remark.

Anyway, a small sprocket change won't effect your engine too much. A smaller front or larger rear will make your engine rev higher for the same speed as before, but you can shift. You control your engine, not the sprockets.

And I'm pretty sure my speedo cable is attached to my front wheel; so a sprocket change will not affect the speedo. Unlike a car, where the speedometer is attached to the transmission and a small tire size change will completely screw up the actual mileage and speed of your car. My Blazer still says 70k, when actually it's around 82k, and I've been pulled over alot when I thought I was doing the speed limit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
hehe sorry for pipping you to the humour, as to the speedo I was not sure if the speedo was mechanical or electronic, and not owning the bike was not sure where it fitted, I will bow to others wisdom on that point, as I said i'm no expert :dunno

·
Registered
144 Posts
The speedo cable is attached to the front sprocket. You can see it coming off the front sprocket cover. It will be effected by changing of your teeth on the sprockets but like someone already pointed out, your speedo wasn't accurate to begin with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The speedo cable is attached to the front sprocket. You can see it coming off the front sprocket cover. It will be effected by changing of your teeth on the sprockets
I've been away from my bike for almost 2 months now. How long has Kawasaki attached the cable to the front sprocket for? Is this how it is on my bike? That would explain why my speedometer reads 80 when I think I'm doing 40.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know. This is my first Kawi but it's the same way on my buddy's Gixxer and another friend's Busa. Here is a pic of what the cable looks like. My friend disconnected his off his Busa so it wouldn't rack up miles on the bike. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Banned
528 Posts
yeah u are going to have to get u a spedo heeler to get the accurate speed once u change your gearing for it to read right

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been away from my bike for almost 2 months now. How long has Kawasaki attached the cable to the front sprocket for? Is this how it is on my bike? That would explain why my speedometer reads 80 when I think I'm doing 40.
It's an electronic speedo thing. I'm pretty sure yours is a standard clock type and will indeed be driven by a cable from the front wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
man im 1 down 2 up and it helps a ton and u need on theses bikes, yeah it taks the speedo up a little bit but no big deal by a new one later, and it revs the motor higher in each gear but its not gonna hurt the motor these bikes are made to be high in rpms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
man im 1 down 2 up and it helps a ton and u need on theses bikes, yeah it taks the speedo up a little bit but no big deal by a new one later, and it revs the motor higher in each gear but its not gonna hurt the motor these bikes are made to be high in rpms.
where did you get your sprockets from? i want to do the same thing?

·
Banned
528 Posts
hey man i have a RK chain & sprocket kit for sale cheap, let me no if interested, i can save u alot of money and this is brand new still in it's original package

G

·
To fix the Speedo to be accurate you can use something like :-

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/intro.htm

With this device or something similar you can recalibrate your speedo to give your actual speed, works just so long as the speedo is electronic.
About Speedo Healer: does this device "take the place" of your speedometer?
Like do you look at the Speedo Healer to read your speed or does this device electronically re-program your bikes stock speedometer?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts