Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering going one tooth smaller on the front as ppl seem to be advising. Will this make the speedo inaccurate? also, what source should i use for just replacing the front sprocket on my 05 zx10? i am still running the factory stuff. Also,does this require taking a link out of the chain?

and lastly and unrelated, anyone using a 1/4 turn throttle and from where?!

thanks so much in advance.

-jeff

10 Posts
I went 1 down in front and 2 up in the rear. Speedo was off 10%. I corrected this with the yeller box speedo healer. About a hundred bucks. Easy to install and works on all Jap bikes. Hope this helps.
BG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Turn from your current thinking

Speed info is obtained from the output shaft, mods aft ,such as :lower gearing (higher numerical ratios) will in fact effect your speedo.Drop one tooth & you will actually display speeds faster than actual speeds. Chain adjustment will not be a problem unless your adj range is over 1/2 used up. & in that case remove one outside & one inside link from chain to give plenty of adjustment. With the throttle abruptness of the 05' stay away from KX throttles. you need more grip rotation on an 05'.It would be like a shorter fuse on a less stable bomb. Glad I could help let me know how it goes.Ride on 10er.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've heard people say that its better to go bigger in the back sprocket rather than smaller in the front. The thought behind this is that going smaller in the front makes the chain have to go around a tighter turn (the smaller front sprocket). Supposedly this robs power and durability. Have you ever heard this theory? Now that you have, do you believe it? I'm not sure what to think. Going bigger in the back requires a longer chain. Thats more spinning mass, surely thats got to be a power robber. Not sure what to think, any opinions?
T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts