Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 93 zx750L all tore down and ready to be split..but it wont split =/ is there any sweet spots to bang on or a place to pry it a little?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Assuming your using a manual so you know you have all the correct bolts out. Find any space that has a good amount of meat (Cast) and whack it with a rubber mallet. As long as you dont whack a thin spot dont be afraid to hit it good.

·
Registered
843 Posts
ive got a 93 zx750L all tore down and ready to be split..but it wont split =/ is there any sweet spots to bang on or a place to pry it a little?
Make sure you have the clutch assembly out and just keep working it don't pry on it to get it open if you do this and pry to hard the cases wouldn't set, rubber mallet and just keep working it you can take a very thin knife or blade also and put it between the classes.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Make sure you have the clutch assembly out and just keep working it don't pry on it to get it open if you do this and pry to hard the cases wouldn't set, rubber mallet and just keep working it you can take a very thin knife or blade also and put it between the classes.
DO NOT DO what this person is telling you. Dont shove any piece of metal or anything for that matter between cases. Rubber mallet is all you need.

·
Registered
843 Posts
DO NOT DO what this person is telling you. Dont shove any piece of metal or anything for that matter between cases. Rubber mallet is all you need.
I have been working on motorcycles and have split a few cases of my own I think I knw what I'm doing as long as you are care with a thin piece knife to break the seal you will be fine take your time sometimes they can be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have been working on motorcycles and have split a few cases of my own I think I knw what I'm doing as long as you are care with a thin piece knife to break the seal you will be fine take your time sometimes they can be a pain in the ass.
Why would you chance fucking up the surface of that soft aluminum by prying the cases apart with a harder metal?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
It's not prying it's losing up the gaskets with I thin metal blade
There is no gasket between the case halves. It's metal on metal with a sealant. Shoving anything in there can cause problems with the cases leaking forever. O.P. please post some pictures of what you've got right now. Show all sides, top and bottom. There are people on here who've split these cases and can doublecheck to make sure you're not missing anything.

·
Registered
843 Posts
There is no gasket between the case halves. It's metal on metal with a sealant. Shoving anything in there can cause problems with the cases leaking forever. O.P. please post some pictures of what you've got right now. Show all sides, top and bottom. There are people on here who've split these cases and can doublecheck to make sure you're not missing anything.
That's what I meant by gaskets I did a old cbr 600 but you know allot more then me about this stuff I was told to jus work the knife around slowly probably the wrong way but the motor is back together know leaks

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
That's what I meant by gaskets I did a old cbr 600 but you know allot more then me about this stuff I was told to jus work the knife around slowly probably the wrong way but the motor is back together know leaks
I know what you're saying, but a beginner shouldn't have tools of destruction anywhere near a machined surface. I'm just trying to save everybody a headache.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got a them apart..the THIN knife idea worked for me pretty good .but im not gunna lie i did fuck it up a little on one side :banghead but nothin bad at all a little stone rubbin and it will be perfect..the dude i got the bike from said second gear is missin teeth , it turned out to be shift forks worn flat..ill post pics soon of the forks gears and my little fuck up with the knife (gears and shift drum look great)

·
Registered
923 Posts
finally got a them apart..the THIN knife idea worked for me pretty good .but im not gunna lie i did fuck it up a little on one side :banghead but nothin bad at all a little stone rubbin and it will be perfect..the dude i got the bike from said second gear is missin teeth , it turned out to be shift forks worn flat..ill post pics soon of the forks gears and my little fuck up with the knife (gears and shift drum look great)
Everyone always wants to take the ez way out. Exactly why i said do not listen to other poster. Good luck with a little stone rub.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
using a thin sheet of brass or copper as a "knife", or some really hard plastic generally prevents that.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Let me know if you have the shift forks I got them

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

and then the knife damage, it looks alot worse in the picture:mfclap...

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
You didn't by chance buy that from a guy in Bradenton, FL. selling it as "stripped" for like $1000 did you? If so I was gonna buy that bike. Would have only offered him $500 though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope i got it from some kid in miami I did get it for $500 though and all the plastics are gettin painted black at the shop today actually

1 - 20 of 24 Posts