Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 zx7, speedometer reading way higher than it should. When it says 70, my gps reads about 55. It is not erratic or anything like you would expect with a bad cable, acts perfectly normal. My front tire is stock size as well. What could cause this? Gauge calibration off? It does sit at zero when stopped.

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Sprockets changed out?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
'95 zx7, speedometer reading way higher than it should. When it says 70, my gps reads about 55. It is not erratic or anything like you would expect with a bad cable, acts perfectly normal. My front tire is stock size as well. What could cause this? Gauge calibration off? It does sit at zero when stopped.
Mine is 10% off, but if you have a larger than stock tire on the thing it screws you a little bit too, but not that much.

Sounds like you just have a huge error. You can buy mechanical speedo units for calibrating those things, they go inline on the cable. They are a pain in the ass.

If I were you I would just get rid of the speedo and use the GPS in its place.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Are you sure you have the stock sized tire and not a 120/60 or 120/50?

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Even a different tire manufacturer, of the same size, could have a different rolling diameter but not enough to give that big of an error. Only other thought is about the housing at the wheel being stock/repaired.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it match closer with the GPS at lower speeds and get worse at higher speeds.

Have you checked the GPS against any other vehicle?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Does it match closer with the GPS at lower speeds and get worse at higher speeds.
Uhh, all speedo error should do that unless the needle is physically in the wrong place.

The reason being that speedometer error is a percentage, not a fixed difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's got a 120/70/17 just like factory

The gps is correct, its about dead on with my car's speedo and it shows my trucks speedometer to be about 10mph off at 70 (oversized tires). I can't use it permanently though since its my cell phone lol.

And yes, the error seems to increase linearly as you go faster. I'm guessing its a problem with the gauge, anyone ever heard of this happening before?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts