Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas trying the 85 mph limit.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-highway-first-allow-85-mph-speed-limit-154924311.html
We have 75 mph in AZ and there are some desert roads that would seem fine to me to cruise at 100 mph.
Of course we're talking being in a mechanically sound car or bike with good tires etc. Also being smart about it. Not driving that fast in the rain or other conditions that would impair safe driving.
The 55 mph speed limit was put into place years ago to save on gas and be safe. I think it's up to the individual whether or not he/she wants to save a gallon of gas.
I believe Wyoming and Montana tried it and you could do whatever was "reasonable and prudent".
What's your opinion?
This Arizona road seems good to cruise at whatever speed you desire.:evil

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
thats like the road from Vegas to San Diego.. you could go as fast as you want for about 50 miles.. BUT the issue is you have people who have their cars/trucks/vans held together with duct tape and chewing gum with tires balder than Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Dr Phil and Elmer Fudd put together... so i think they should just put up a separate toll road for those who have vehicles that are up to safety standards set by the government as a whole.. we all know someone who will inspect our vehicles for us but this would be a Federal mandated thing. Also you should have to have a special endorsement that states that you know the "rules of the road", like when someone flashes their lights behind you get the fuck over so they can pass, and no cruising in the left lane... that way dumbasses dont sit in the fast line that have no reason on being there and your not stuck behind a 82 Caprice thats rotted away and dropping shit in front of you...

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
When we were in Mexico last summer, we were cruising along in a tour van doing 50KPH over the speed limit. So was everyone else. The cops, who were everywhere, didn't seem to mind. When we'd get to a village, there'd be speed bumps. Someone in the group asked about them and the tour guide said "that's so cars will slow down in town". Well, duh. But the silly woman wasn't satisfied with that answer, and asked "isn't that what speed limits are police are for?" to which the guide said "maybe in your country. Here the police have more important things to do than keep you alive if you're too stupid too. We don't like being told what to do, and everyone knows to be careful. Those who don't just don't live very long". It was right about that time that I decided if I can find a way to live in Mexico, I'm probably going to go for it.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually go about 10 over the limit in AZ and NV. Rarely do I see anyone taking radar.
When I go back to Illinois, it drives me nuts. 55 mph most roads. I find myself going 20 over.:lol
Then we drive into Wisconsin and it finally goes up to a whopping 65mph and police everywhere. They sit on the overpass and clock you and all the other police just pull you over and they'll have 4 or 5 cars they're giving tickets to.
It's all about money.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Average speed in IA is 65. Max I seen is 70. I drive 65 so I can get good gas mileage but also, the time you save from 65 to 70 is not that much. It is nice having that space to drive a bit faster. The average speeds on 380 here are will 80 I say. Still get passed going 75. My car has 194k close to 195k. She cannot handle them speeds nor will I go that fast. Does Montana now have speed limits? I thought I heard that. Be sweet going fast on my bike but smooth road would make me feel safer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
I think in rural areas speed limits should be brought up to at LEAST 75... everyone is going 75-80 anyway most everywhere I go. Don't see a problem with an 85mph limit on some highways like the one in the photo. :dunno

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Some people will push it with there vehicle and they will blow it or have a catastrophic failure.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing wrong with saving gas and it is a speed limit. Even if they made 100 mph limits, I doubt the majority of people would even do it. I know the snowbirds in their RVs wouldn't come close.:lol
I don't think anyone has received a ticket for going too slow but I don't think it's safe to be going 10 mph under the limit on interstates.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just as well do away with speed limits all together, a good portion of people on the road shouldn't be allowed to drive anyway, so why bother giving them a limit they won't obey. Most of them would still get into accidents or drive people off the road if the limit was 5mph.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The 55 mph speed limit was put into place years ago to save on gas and be safe.
Even more important than the speed limit officers have to, must, for the sake of everything good on this earth enforce the rules of the road: Slower Traffic Keep Right. Even 55 mph doesnt work when people don't move over. I don't care what the speed limit is, move your arse over when someone comes up from behind and don't speed up when I go to pass you, you'll get your feelings hurt. Everytime :evil. That's why we can't have nice stuff in the U.S. like the Autobahn.

I don't buy the "55 mph saves gas/is safer" argument. You can't convince me that enough registered vehicles get optimum gas mileage at 55 mph to warrant that limit. Gas mileage has least to do with speed and more to do with 1) gearing and 2) wind drag. (Do 55 mph in 1st gear and let me know how long before you're pushing your vehicle to a gas station.) I've gotten 50 mpg highway on my SV at 100 mph from just north of atlanta all the way to greenville, sc. Would I've gotten better at 55 mph? Don't know/don't care cause it's hard to shake a stick at 50 mpg @ 100mph. [to be fair, the 50 mpg was the entire trip with the 100 mph blast consisting of less than half but more than 1/4 of a 150 mi trip. I usually cruise at 88mph on an uncorrected speedo]

If they raise the speed limit then states/counties will have to come up with a new means of revenue generation which is why I think it'll happen slowly if at all. Raising the limit will definitely require more driver training and perhaps a graduated license system - which all costs governments $$$ but if safety is the top priority, which every officer/trooper claims while writing a speeding ticket, then spend money on programs/systems that promote driver safety as opposed to just taking money from drivers deemed 'unsafe' for driving faster than 55 mph.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back in the 70s they even made 85 mph speedometers with emphasis on the 55. Just to make you think you were going too fast.
Sort of like the temperature bars on the 14 when they go all the way to the top and people think it's too hot.
oops, my own threadjack.:tard

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Even more important than the speed limit officers have to, must, for the sake of everything good on this earth enforce the rules of the road: Slower Traffic Keep Right. Even 55 mph doesnt work when people don't move over. I don't care what the speed limit is, move your arse over when someone comes up from behind and don't speed up when I go to pass you, you'll get your feelings hurt. Everytime :evil. That's why we can't have nice stuff in the U.S. like the Autobahn.

I don't buy the "55 mph saves gas/is safer" argument. You can't convince me that enough registered vehicles get optimum gas mileage at 55 mph to warrant that limit. Gas mileage has least to do with speed and more to do with 1) gearing and 2) wind drag. (Do 55 mph in 1st gear and let me know how long before you're pushing your vehicle to a gas station.) I've gotten 50 mpg highway on my SV at 100 mph from just north of atlanta all the way to greenville, sc. Would I've gotten better at 55 mph? Don't know/don't care cause it's hard to shake a stick at 50 mpg @ 100mph. [to be fair, the 50 mpg was the entire trip with the 100 mph blast consisting of less than half but more than 1/4 of a 150 mi trip. I usually cruise at 88mph on an uncorrected speedo]

If they raise the speed limit then states/counties will have to come up with a new means of revenue generation which is why I think it'll happen slowly if at all. Raising the limit will definitely require more driver training and perhaps a graduated license system - which all costs governments $$$ but if safety is the top priority, which every officer/trooper claims while writing a speeding ticket, then spend money on programs/systems that promote driver safety as opposed to just taking money from drivers deemed 'unsafe' for driving faster than 55 mph.
Good point my zx gets better gas mileage at higher speeds (up to a point ) . I really wouldn't mind seeing higher speed limits but then I think about some jackass with a 35 foot long toy hauler with 3 axles and 14 slide outs being pulled by a lifted diesel pick up flying down the road at 100 mph and I change my mind. It doesn't matter any way because there are a lot of in town freeways that I see people going over 100 any way .

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
True. Ticket prices have sky rocketed. I got clocked going 116 (slowing down from 140) in a 70 on my 9r and the ticket was $370 plus the $200 to the dnv to get my license. I had the bike for a week and had a itch. I was not crazy enough to out run them. I take it easy now and just hit the corners. 11 months was not fun with only a school/work permit. Still, the state trooper could have let me off as I had a clean record. But I learned my lesson. I do know that if you keep your rpms close to 2500, you will get great mileage in a vehicle wise. Not sure for a bike. One thing a lot of people do not know nor do, is when a semi signals to turn into your lane a head of you. You flash your lights to let them known its safe to merge. Semi drivers are like us motorcyclist. People do not care nor do they look out for us. They will cut you off or not move. I like semis as I am going to school to be a Diesel Mechanic.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have noticed different speed limits here in NY
In Queens usually 65
In Nassau usually 70
In Suffolk usually 75
those are the speeds i have done while passing a LEO, without even them turning their heads.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
On the point about miles and speeds... most European (specifically German) get better mileage at 85 than they do at 65 since they're mostly designed for driving the Autobon. My X5 got about 3-4 mpg better going 80 than at 65.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
We have speed limits in Arizona?

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
My X5 got about 3-4 mpg better going 80 than at 65.
My Mustangs all did as well. The gas mileage point is moot with speed limits, as well as a host of other misinformation indoctrination. For example, my truck averages at least 3mpg better on a tank if I use 15lbs of boost every time I accelerate up to speed than if I only use #5lbs. I realize most vehicles aren't like this, but there's a very logical reason for why this one is; point being, when it comes to gas mileage, there's no right or wrong way to get good mileage for every vehicle. They're all a little different, some are a lot different.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Good point my zx gets better gas mileage at higher speeds (up to a point ) . I really wouldn't mind seeing higher speed limits but then I think about some jackass with a 35 foot long toy hauler with 3 axles and 14 slide outs being pulled by a lifted diesel pick up flying down the road at 100 mph and I change my mind. It doesn't matter any way because there are a lot of in town freeways that I see people going over 100 any way .
The zx does 43/44mpg highway avg 80 mph and blasts up to 100. Im looking out more for obstacles and that 1 guy driving a top heavy vehicle waaay too fast like you said than cops .

True. Ticket prices have sky rocketed. I got clocked going 116 (slowing down from 140) in a 70 on my 9r and the ticket was $370 plus the $200 to the dnv to get my license. I had the bike for a week and had a itch. I was not crazy enough to out run them. I take it easy now and just hit the corners. 11 months was not fun with only a school/work permit. Still, the state trooper could have let me off as I had a clean record. But I learned my lesson. I do know that if you keep your rpms close to 2500, you will get great mileage in a vehicle wise. Not sure for a bike. One thing a lot of people do not know nor do, is when a semi signals to turn into your lane a head of you. You flash your lights to let them known its safe to merge. Semi drivers are like us motorcyclist. People do not care nor do they look out for us. They will cut you off or not move. I like semis as I am going to school to be a Diesel Mechanic.

I need to move there! It cost me $1300 for a 90 in a 55 ticket in GA. I know I wasn't doing 90 but there isnt fighting a laser which they aren't obligated to show you. Holiday Ticket rush.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I am looking into moving to coastal part of Texas when I graduate this December. A lot of Diesel Mech jobs there. I love IA but I want to branch out. Leave the birds nest you can say. True, some vehicles pulling heavy things should not be able to drive fast. Takes so much to stop them.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts