Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 zx9r and I was wondering if anyone has ever had problems getting the spark plugs out? Do you have to have a special spark plug socket, or can you use any deep well socket. It seems like I have the correct size socket, but it will not fit down the ports. Please help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try using a thin wall sockets usually available in automotive stores. They are commonally available in all spark plug socket sizes. Once you break the spark plug loose use a piece of 5/8 heater hose to unscrew it the rest of the way and remove it from the hole. And when you go to install the new ones use the hose to start them it will help prevent cross threading the head.:crazyloco

·
Registered
582 Posts
As above.
I used 3/8 square drive sparkplug sockets and two 2" extensions with
my '99Zx6r because the toolkit sparkplug tube spanner used to foul
the ram air ducting on the outside.

gammac

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
be sure to blow any crud away before taking them out

·
Registered
462 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing but couldn't find a thin wall socket so I just took a regular socket and put it on an electric drill and wrapped the socket in sandpaper. 5 minutes later I had a socket that could hit past the valve cover.

Its reassuring to know that someone else had this problem and that my bike isn't a rolling accident.

Anyways, you dont even need to buy any tubing to pull out your plugs, I just took the plug covers and slipped them back over the plug just like you were putting it back, but when you pull it up, since you unscrewed the plug, it comes right on out.

:rofl Carb cleaner is a dirty plugs best friend:rofl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts