Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the special 5/8 spark plug socket, got a extension and everything was going fine. Tried to get the 2nd spark plug out and it seems like the socket will not even catch the spark plug to grip it out. I looked inside nothing blocking it but the plug is at an angle to the left side and the bike is NOT on a center stand. A friend suggested i get a swivel-head socket, what do you guys think? Could it be stuck any tips for getting it un-stuck?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think I used a universal joint and an extension on a 3/8" drive. Make sure that spark plug socket is all the way down. Spark plug sockets have rubber inside and brand new are difficult to get all the way down especially when you're already in a tight spot like the inner 2 cylinders and that stupid frame is in the way and the vacuum shit and coils are in the way. I actually bought a compression gauge and then took it back after I took the plugs out, just because it looked like a pain in the ass.

A shot of WD-40 never hurt anything either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It calls for a 5/8 socket but i could try the smaller one. It just seems like its not going on to the plug, it hits the side and just sits there. what will a compression guage do?

·
Registered
151 Posts
5/8" socket, but a 3/8" drive ratchet. And actually I think my plugs were metric. 18mm which is slightly smaller than 5/8". A compression gauge checks cylinder compression. You should have a Haynes Manual, all this is in it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cross threaded

Bought the special 5/8 spark plug socket, got a extension and everything was going fine. Tried to get the 2nd spark plug out and it seems like the socket will not even catch the spark plug to grip it out. I looked inside nothing blocking it but the plug is at an angle to the left side and the bike is NOT on a center stand. A friend suggested i get a swivel-head socket, what do you guys think? Could it be stuck any tips for getting it un-stuck?
Sounds to me like the spark plug may have gone in cross threaded if it's in at an angle, which is not very good news if that is the case. May clean up but usually they need helicoiling to fix the thread, which can usually be done without removing the head.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it out, i dunno how i did it but i did. used a universal joint and the plug had alot of crud and sand on it. But the dumbass that i am forgot how to put the gas tank together so when i started her she leaked!! now i have to find out where everything goes again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I always put nickel based anti-seize on the spark plug threads. you'll thank yourself later.
T

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I am trying to pull my plugs out .... I assume you need a special "Thin-wall" 5/8" spark plug socket ? ???

Todd
New 1997 ZX7R - Track bike

·
Registered
400 Posts
So I am trying to pull my plugs out .... I assume you need a special "Thin-wall" 5/8" spark plug socket ? ???

Todd
New 1997 ZX7R - Track bike
Yes you do, A decent quality socket has thinner wall sections like the Snap On ones..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts