Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 zx9r, and it recently broke down on me while riding. I was doing some casual riding, nothing crazy, with nothing above 9k rpms.
Everything was going fine until, without warning, the engine bogged down and caused the engine to die. I tried to see if it would even start again, and it cranked over but not start. It seemed like there was significant valve train noise, or tapping when it started bogging down.
So I end up putting the bike in neutral, and pushing it home about 3 miles, luckily most of it was down hill.
I go home, start taking it apart to see what could be the problem. I take the spark plugs out and the plug in #1 cylinder is all chewed up and there appears to some stuff in the cylinder. Obviously this is part of the problem, but why the heck would this happen? I've heard of people messing up a valve adjustment and having the piston crash into the valves, but what could chew up a spark plug like this, especially all of a sudden?
I also opened up the valve cover to see if the camshaft was damaged in some way, but there is no obvious damage. None of the lopes look flat, and when i pushed down on the valve tappets they went down and came up consistently. It doesn't appear to have broken a spring and dropped a valve, although I haven't taken the head off yet.
One other thing i noticed, is even with the spark plugs out, when I tried turning the motor over by turning the crankshaft, it seemed tough to get past the #1 TDC. It would turn normally until i go to 1.4 TDC mark, and then stop. If I really forced it (i probably shouldn't have tested this) it would turn past #1 TDC and was easy to move again until it came to TDC again.
Any idea what could cause the spark plug to get chewed up like this?
Does this look like crankshaft damage?

Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Finger

·
Premium Member
2010 ZX-14
374 Posts
It doesn't look good.

Before removing the head, you have a few options. There is a digital inspection camera (Walmart-Harbor Freight) that allows you to get a clear view inside cylinder heads and to inspect cylinder walls. You can also remove the carbs and exhaust system, look through the intake and exhaust ports to see if all valves are still intact. Or remove cams and valve buckets out to confirm whether you dropped a valve. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I bought an engine that the conrod connection nut had came off allowing the piston to hit the head the conrod bearing on the crank was nearly worn through so weather this gives enough slack for the nut to come lose or weather nut failed first I don't know , but I do know it's quite common on these engines but usually on number 3 cylinder

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 zx9r, and it recently broke down on me while riding. I was doing some casual riding, nothing crazy, with nothing above 9k rpms.
Everything was going fine until, without warning, the engine bogged down and caused the engine to die. I tried to see if it would even start again, and it cranked over but not start. It seemed like there was significant valve train noise, or tapping when it started bogging down.
So I end up putting the bike in neutral, and pushing it home about 3 miles, luckily most of it was down hill.
I go home, start taking it apart to see what could be the problem. I take the spark plugs out and the plug in #1 cylinder is all chewed up and there appears to some stuff in the cylinder. Obviously this is part of the problem, but why the heck would this happen? I've heard of people messing up a valve adjustment and having the piston crash into the valves, but what could chew up a spark plug like this, especially all of a sudden?
I also opened up the valve cover to see if the camshaft was damaged in some way, but there is no obvious damage. None of the lopes look flat, and when i pushed down on the valve tappets they went down and came up consistently. It doesn't appear to have broken a spring and dropped a valve, although I haven't taken the head off yet.
One other thing i noticed, is even with the spark plugs out, when I tried turning the motor over by turning the crankshaft, it seemed tough to get past the #1 TDC. It would turn normally until i go to 1.4 TDC mark, and then stop. If I really forced it (i probably shouldn't have tested this) it would turn past #1 TDC and was easy to move again until it came to TDC again.
Any idea what could cause the spark plug to get chewed up like this?
Does this look like crankshaft damage?

View attachment 9048
I recently got a Zx7r on trade and it has the same exact spark plug damage. I used my video scope to look down through cylinder 1 and saw 2 dropped valves and what looked like molten metal. I'm going to drop the engine and remove the head to see what all needs replaced. Do you have an update on your repair? I know this is an old thread but worth a shot. Thanks
World Astronomical object Rectangle Formation Font
Hand Finger Household hardware Thumb Nail

Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Liquid Tints and shades

Rectangle Window Art Water Tints and shades

Gadget Rectangle Communication Device Font Display device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts