Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...Im trading in my 2010 yamaha fz6r for a zx14. Ive outgrown the 6r and need something with more pep and style.

All of my riding is around town and highways. No plans on tracking the bike. Im 6'0 250lbs.

I sat on a few different bikes and needed something in between the semi-cruiser up-right position of the 6r and the uncomfortable position of the yamaha r1. The zx14 feels right in the middle and one bike even had risers to make it feel even better.

So heres what Im looking at from a local dealer. They offered me 4800 trade in for my 6r which is excellent IMO. They have two new 2012s in stock. One green, the other blue both for 14500. These are all sticker prices so far.

They have a new 2011 green for 11500, again sticker price.

Last one is a 2007 blue (mint everything) with 5000 miles and a TON of upgrades (air shifter kit, powercoated blue wheels with polished lip, gear indicator, sliders, corbin seat, full muzzy exhaust with power commander, risers, polished chain guard and some accent pieces powercoated blue to match the paint)

It really seems like the total package and they have it listed for 8500$.

Im almost positive I dont want the 2012s. The new 2011 has caught my interest based solely on the fact thats its new. However Im leaning towards this 2007. Ive read there really isnt much difference between 06-07 and then the 08-11. 2012 seems to have some new features but idk if I can justify the cost.

Obviously it boils down to what I want but I always like hearing other peoples opinions

:smile

·
Registered
937 Posts
<snip. . . Ive read there really isnt much difference between 06-07 and then the 08-11. . .>
I have an '06 and it is an incredible motorcycle. Awesome handling, rock solid stable at high triple digits and mind boggling power. I paid $5700 w/ 3600 miles on it in 12/10.

In the San Francisco Bay area, Craigslist 06-08 bikes with sub 5K miles are always popping up at under $6K. If you buy a garage-kept stock m/c, you know that nobody molested w/a factory bike.

With equal skill riders, outside of tight-tight twisties, a stock trim '14 will rip anything.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I would not consider a heavily mod'ed used bike. If you go used, look for one with fewer mods. Also, mechanical mods can be more problems than cosmetics mods. I am amazed how often a bike is screwed up by a faulty mod install. The '12 MSRP is $3K more than the '11, and you get "things" for that money. Only you can determine whether they are worth the money. They are going to get $1K or $2k out of your trade in, that is, w/o a trade in you could probably get the '11 for $10.5K

I have a green '09 and the new stuff on the '12 are not compelling enough for me to trade in my '09, it's paid for. But if I were buying a ZX today, I would go for the blue '12

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an '06 and it is an incredible motorcycle. Awesome handling, rock solid stable at high triple digits and mind boggling power. I paid $5700 w/ 3600 miles on it in 12/10.

In the San Francisco Bay area, Craigslist 06-08 bikes with sub 5K miles are always popping up at under $6K. If you buy a garage-kept stock m/c, you know that nobody molested w/a factory bike.

With equal skill riders, outside of tight-tight twisties, a stock trim '14 will rip anything.
No way to tell for sure but the used bike is mint in every aspect visually. Not a swirl mark or chip anywhere on the paint. But, that doesnt mean the bike was not beat on which ultimately is more important.

Ive been looking for a couple weeks on craigslist and have not found anything that really appeals to me. Meaning, there are very few zx14s for sale.

The other thing is that I need the money from previous bike to put towards this bike. Ive had my bike for sale for a little while and no takers. The dealer is offering me more money for the trade in then I actually paid for the bike. Thats why Im so adamant about making this deal now.

I would not consider a heavily mod'ed used bike. If you go used, look for one with fewer mods. Also, mechanical mods can be more problems than cosmetics mods. I am amazed how often a bike is screwed up by a faulty mod install. The '12 MSRP is $3K more than the '11, and you get "things" for that money. Only you can determine whether they are worth the money. They are going to get $1K or $2k out of your trade in, that is, w/o a trade in you could probably get the '11 for $10.5K

I have a green '09 and the new stuff on the '12 are not compelling enough for me to trade in my '09, it's paid for. But if I were buying a ZX today, I would go for the blue '12
Im a big car guy and fairly new to bikes. Main reason for selling my 6r is b/c my car walks away from the 6r on the highway lol.

That being said, What is considered "heavily modded" for a bike? Is a pc, exhaust and new tune considered heavily modded? I hear "heavily modded" and I think aggressive cams, bigger injectors, forged internals and a turbo.

Ive quickly looked into the differences with the '12 models and the extra 3k over the '11 is not worth it imo.

So that leaves the new '11 or modded '07 with miles. My one concern with the used '07 is the air shifter. I understand how they work but I want to know if these shifters cause much more wear and tear on the trans and clutch?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a pic of the shifter. Its a horrible zoomed in pic but im trying to find out the brand by the pic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only big difrence form 06/07 and 08-11 is that the 06/07 have the restriktion under 6k rpm, but thats easly solved as you can see under the flies out guide her. I whould think that the 07 that your looking at already have removed the flies, but just ask.
other then that thers no real noticeble difrence, the 08+ have 3hp more couse of som minor changes on the inj, the frame is made in a difrent way, and it has 3cats wher the 06/07 has 2.
good luck

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I would walk away from the used 14 just because of the air Shifter and not because air shifters are bad but because what they are used for(drag racing) . That being said the zx 14 is well known for being built really well for drag racing . The clutch and trans are bullet proof but drag racing is tough on everything from chain and sprockets to the crank shaft etc imho. If this bike has enough passes on it anything can break and the thing is you can't tell how many passes it has on it just by looking at it . I use to work with a kid who had an old 750 Honda sohc , he loved to drag race that thing and it was a great looking bike but... On one outing he was dropping the clutch at full throttle (luckily the bike was a tank so it didn't flip over ) and he actually cracked the engine case right near the countershaft on the transmission . The moral of the story , drag racing it tough on bikes . If your main purpose is to race the bike I wouldn't worry about it , but of you plan on riding the thing walk away .

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I'd go fo the '11 as well. . .

Unless you wanna fork out the extra and get the new upgraded 12. Those things look sick.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Buy the 2012 please.
get the Kawi 4 year warranty if you plan to keep the bike for awhile.
The '11 makes more sense financially, but does buying a 14 make sense at all? It's really a big boy's toy. I always buy the best product I can afford. I have never regretted buying the best.

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I would also pass on the modded 07. It's priced about $2000 too high and it's obviously been raced. Those are most likely the hardest 5000 miles on that bike.
Me? If I was going to buy a new bike, 2012. Although if the 2011 was substantially less money, I would consider that one. The 2011 is about $1000 too high, IMO.
Will they still give you $4800 no matter which bike you buy or what price you can get them down on their's?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
appreciate all these answers. got me thinking....but real quick before I respond to everyone, the dealer also offered me a 2 year warranty (everything covered except wear and tear items like brakes, tires etc) for 540$ on the used 07. Would this eliminate some of your concerns on the used bike?

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
appreciate all these answers. got me thinking....but real quick before I respond to everyone, the dealer also offered me a 2 year warranty (everything covered except wear and tear items like brakes, tires etc) for 540$ on the used 07. Would this eliminate some of your concerns on the used bike?
I paid about that for my 5 year kawi good times protection plan and it was $0 dedutible and unlimited mileage. I would check those 2 things first. I would also check to see if something like the tranny would be covered since there's an air shifter installed. Some warranties are void with mods added.

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I think you're getting wrapped up in the mods on the 07. Yes, a lot of money there. But they decrease the value of the bike, not increase it, IMO.
If I was going to pay $8500 for a bike, it would be a new one.
I wonder why someone traded that beautiful perfect 07 in?:rolleyes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
185ez, Im just going off memory from yesterday about the dealer told me regarding prices. Since its used, idk if its the kawasaki good times plan or some 3rd party garbage warranty. But, im looking at the extended warranty on ebay and it says this,

"**Due to Kawasaki's new MAP Policy "Starting March 1st 2012" all GTPP's must be advertised at Full MSRP."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-4-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item438fd972e5&vxp=mtr

760$ for 4 years on a new bike though. Basically double the price of what it previously was. This is all for a new bike ofcourse but Im just comparing prices to what you mentioned.

I agree, the mods are whats pushing me towards the 07 (since almost everything done is what I would be doing anyway, minus a one or 2 things)

Its just this shift kit that has got me concerned. If that wasnt there I would be all over this particular bike. Ofcourse when I asked the dealer if the previous owner dragged the bike he said "no, the guy was just a huge enthusiast who wanted the best of everything." LOL.

I would agree based on the condition and quality of the work done, but does anyone really buy a shift kit to just have fun on the street? I doubt it.

Also, cant remember if this is a air shifter or one of those electrical shifters so I need to look into that. Ive read some bad things about the electric shifters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only big difrence form 06/07 and 08-11 is that the 06/07 have the restriktion under 6k rpm, but thats easly solved as you can see under the flies out guide her. I whould think that the 07 that your looking at already have removed the flies, but just ask.
other then that thers no real noticeble difrence, the 08+ have 3hp more couse of som minor changes on the inj, the frame is made in a difrent way, and it has 3cats wher the 06/07 has 2.
good luck
ive read about removing the secondary butterflies so ill look into that.

I also remember reading about a frame recall on the 06s (maybe 07 as well) from over-tourqing the motor mount I believe. Gotta check that too

I would walk away from the used 14 just because of the air Shifter and not because air shifters are bad but because what they are used for(drag racing) . That being said the zx 14 is well known for being built really well for drag racing . The clutch and trans are bullet proof but drag racing is tough on everything from chain and sprockets to the crank shaft etc imho. If this bike has enough passes on it anything can break and the thing is you can't tell how many passes it has on it just by looking at it . I use to work with a kid who had an old 750 Honda sohc , he loved to drag race that thing and it was a great looking bike but... On one outing he was dropping the clutch at full throttle (luckily the bike was a tank so it didn't flip over ) and he actually cracked the engine case right near the countershaft on the transmission . The moral of the story , drag racing it tough on bikes . If your main purpose is to race the bike I wouldn't worry about it , but of you plan on riding the thing walk away .
Good points. Unfortunately there is no way to know how the internals look without a complete tear down. I still have to hear this thing run (no battery installed at the time). I have a good ear but thats not going to do me any good in this situation. Plus, the dealer doesnt offer test rides. Grrr

I'd go fo the '11 as well. . .

Unless you wanna fork out the extra and get the new upgraded 12. Those things look sick.
Visually speaking, the 12's seem to have some extra parts of the fairing painted correct?

Buy the 2012 please.
get the Kawi 4 year warranty if you plan to keep the bike for awhile.
The '11 makes more sense financially, but does buying a 14 make sense at all? It's really a big boy's toy. I always buy the best product I can afford. I have never regretted buying the best.

Going to a zx14 from my 6r is going to be night and day I know. My turbo car literally walks away from my 6r at any speed above 40mph so I want a different bike. I cant ride a supersport (r1) for extended periods of time bc of the uncomfortable position. The zx seems like the perfect mix of insane power and decent riding position to fit my needs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder why someone traded that beautiful perfect 07 in?:rolleyes
^ This makes me question the '07 that much more.

You could spend the extra $ for the '12 and have the newest thing out, or since you're pretty set on having mods pick up a new '11 and with the money saved from not buying the '12 mod up the '11.

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
I can't find it at this time but someone had an air shifter on their 14 and kawasaki wouldn't pay for the warranty work on the trans.
The dealer can verify the frame recall. All they need to do is punch in the VIN and it will say whether it needs to be checked or not. Mine wasn't included in the recall.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
i would also pass on the modded 07. It's priced about $2000 too high and it's obviously been raced. Those are most likely the hardest 5000 miles on that bike.
Me? If i was going to buy a new bike, 2012. Although if the 2011 was substantially less money, i would consider that one. The 2011 is about $1000 too high, imo.
Will they still give you $4800 no matter which bike you buy or what price you can get them down on their's?
i paid about that for my 5 year kawi good times protection plan and it was $0 dedutible and unlimited mileage. I would check those 2 things first. I would also check to see if something like the tranny would be covered since there's an air shifter installed. Some warranties are void with mods added.
+1

1 - 20 of 39 Posts