Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a hypothetical question i just want to know what everyone thinks

if i were to do a -1/+2 sprocket setup i would reduce my top speed and gain acceleration.......HOWEVER

what if i were to do the sprocket change AND change the size of 6th gear in the gear box meaning i would have great acceleration through 5th gear AND have my 6th gear reserved for highway cruising to keep my rpms low and then my top speed would remain unchanged

does this make any sence???? anyone think it would work????

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
11,782 Posts
It sounds like a good idea but, at least with that other thread, nothing ever came of it. If you do end up checking this option out, post up with your findings. Whether it's possible or not, I think there are a lot of people that would like to know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I would like to see someone try to get 6th to 1:1 instead of 1.3:1 and just see how it would do. I've just did the -1 on front and the shift from 5 to 6th is 400 RPM. The bike has more power to pull more than that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes it makes sense and yes it would work. Race teams do stuff like that all the time.

Whether or not it's practical is another question.

*EDIT* On an 07-08 in stock form, 70 mph is about 6250 RPM. Go -1/+2 and 70 mph is about 7000 RPM. Switch 6th gear from 1.3 to 1.0 and with -1/+2 70 mph will be about 5500 RPM.

You could even go -1/+5 and with a 1.0 ratio 6th gear you'd still be turning less RPM at 70 mph than you would be stock.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
thats a post i brought up a while back. Thats exactly what i want. to go -1/+2 and keep 6th gear rpms down. Is there any shops that do that kind of work? dies kawi sell gear sets? where do the race teams get their gears?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts