Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, posting about the 89 zx7 H1 yet again. Having carb problems kinda. It cruises nicely at a steady speed. idles pretty good. midrange throttle is right where it should be, and full throttle means business. So the bike is running great EXCEPT, she's a bit soggy when i'm taking off from a stop. It's almost like there's a dead spot in the throttle as soon as i start turning it, once i get the past the dead spot it runs great and has great throttle response. I have the pilot screws 2 1/4 turns out. the needles are set at the 3rd clip. floats are set to 15mm and i just synced all the carbs. Any suggestions? Am i maybe running too rich or too lean when idling? I have heard of some bikes having a dead spot that no amount of tuning or adjustments will cure. Is my zx7 one of those bikes with the incurable dead spot?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi, posting about the 89 zx7 H1 yet again. Having carb problems kinda. It cruises nicely at a steady speed. idles pretty good. midrange throttle is right where it should be, and full throttle means business. So the bike is running great EXCEPT, she's a bit soggy when i'm taking off from a stop. It's almost like there's a dead spot in the throttle as soon as i start turning it, once i get the past the dead spot it runs great and has great throttle response. I have the pilot screws 2 1/4 turns out. the needles are set at the 3rd clip. floats are set to 15mm and i just synced all the carbs. Any suggestions? Am i maybe running too rich or too lean when idling? I have heard of some bikes having a dead spot that no amount of tuning or adjustments will cure. Is my zx7 one of those bikes with the incurable dead spot?
sounds like your carbs have a dead spot. Did you clean throughly 100% ???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, all my carbs are completely spotless. if i get on the throttle really hard from a dead stop the bike almost dies. The problem get better as the bikes gets warmer, I'm starting to think I might be running a bit too rich or too lean at idle, hence the stumbling and sogginess when trying to take off from a dead stop. But other than the small dead spot right after idle, the bike runs and drives excellent. any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Too lean. Open up the pilots another 1/4 turn. A trick to know if your pilots are set close to right is after the bike warms up, pull the choke. It should die. If it revs up, you're too lean.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
yes, all my carbs are completely spotless. if i get on the throttle really hard from a dead stop the bike almost dies. The problem get better as the bikes gets warmer, I'm starting to think I might be running a bit too rich or too lean at idle, hence the stumbling and sogginess when trying to take off from a dead stop. But other than the small dead spot right after idle, the bike runs and drives excellent. any thoughts?
Start the bike and let it sit and idle for 5 minutes. Do not go over 1500rpm during that time. Shut it off and pull a spark plug. What color is it? Gray? White? Black? Tan? We can't tell you how to fix your bike until you tell us all the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
You'd get a better idea of what it's doing if you pulled all 4 plugs. Also, where's your mixture screws set at? What air filter, ignition advancer,coils and exhaust are you running?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
2fat I understand your thinking but the chances of having an ignition advancer is pretty slim for these bikes. Even with an exhaust, and or air filter, the only thing that would constitute the issue on these bikes would either be pilots screw settings or float height.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything on my bike is stock except the exhaust. It is a 4 into 1. I am not sure what brand it is, the brand name wore off the muffler. I have the stock airbox, no ignition advancers, and stock coils. Later on today I will idle bike, pull plugs, and take pics and post them. Thanks for bearing with me on this everyone.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I still say bring your pilots out a 1/4 turn but whatever LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts