Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching the MotoGP races on FOX...what did you think of FOX's presentation of the United States GP at Laguna Seca?

I actually thought the announcers did a better job than the Speed guys, but they made me feel like I was new to motorcycle racing. I was laughing as they were explaining the stuff we all take for granted, but I can see they are doing it to cater to the people who are new to watching it.

I did learn something new, the difference between a wildcard racer versus a replacement racer.

Aside from the fact that FOX did not present it in HighDef, what did you like or not like about FOX's presentation of MotoGP at Laguna??

·
Registered
462 Posts
awesome! awesome! awesome! it's great that the gp is becoming more popular. fyi all, motogp is running out of sponsorship funds quickly. without tobacco money they've been having some difficulties finding sponsors. the yamaha team BARELY got the fiat sponsorship. being presented on national american television should encourage american sponsors (read rich) to give up some cash to be seen and fund the gp's for future years. as demonstrated by indianapolis gp, there should be more races coming to america, which in my opinion is fucking awesome. sportbikes will probably become more mainstream in the years to come which is slightly sad though...

·
Registered
42 Posts
BTW Bax, the FOX announcers ARE the Speed announcers, its just that Ralph Shaheen has not been available to do all the AMA broadcasts (that guy does alot of different announcing for Speed)

I thought the coverage was better than CBS' coverage. But we got a long way to go to make it a great product. Im not a NASCAR fan,but they put out a polished broadcast. Its a shame that the likes of Kevin Schwantz(CBS) and Freddie Spencer(Fox/Speed) struggle on camera or voiceover like amateurs when they are Motorcycle roadracing legends. And though they didnt mispronounce Vermeulens' name on TV, I was at the race and the PA announcers AND Brian Drebber (who should freakin know better) kept pronouncing it Vermillion. I actually miss having Drebber and Dave Sadowski together on Speed, they were much better than anybody we got now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally like the Brits from Speed. Why? Because the SHOW THE FREAKING RACE!!!

OMG! So many time they would be showing the pits, or taking an interview or whatever, and when they'd show the race again the field had changed dramatically. I'll never forget, 5 laps to go, and they started showing some pit crew and talking about tires. Who cares?!?!?! I don't need a full interview with Duhamel to let me know that he's too old and lost his nerve. Just tell me! I need to see the friggin' race!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for coverage in America. I'm excited about Iniandapolis next year, and I think the Fox announcers sounded better and more confident than the CBS guys. But don't talk to me like I'm an idiot, show the race, and turn up the mics for the bikes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Freddie and Kevin, as great as they are, do not spend a lot of time calling races and like everything else, practice, practice, practice. I thought the coverage of the ride that Roger Hayden put in on the Kawi was exceptional. The race was going to be a runaway so it was a very nice touch. All in all, not bad, especially considering that the mainstream media in the US has all but ignored MC racing. Thanks to Speed, many of us can now watch in real time. The real thanks should go to Dave Despain of Wind Tunnel fame, he has been at the mic to call races for ESPN, the old TNN, now CMT, read ******* music channel and ABC for years. He has been very vocal in his displeasure of the media's handling of MC racing in the US in general for a long time now. If you show it, the veiwers will come. Just my .02 worth. Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts