Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a newbie to bikes, coming from cars to bikes everything can be similiar and different. and this is one of them...can anyone tell me what can happen if i keep on riding with the slow leak? i have told that the tire may blow up unexpectedly...but what else? so what i basically do now is fill up the tire at the gas station once in a while.
edit: there turns out to be a nail in there, but i have not taken it out or else it will leak even more.

since the bike is only 1600 miles old, and so are the tires, i don't wish to replace it. so i am thinking on just patching it up...what do you guys think?

OH! and did anyone know that in CA it is the law that air & water pumps at the gas station are free? i didn't know about this til today...just thinking about how people waste 75 cents each time filling up air when they can get it for free.

·
Registered
144 Posts
seriously i would change the tire. on ANY vehicle the tires are one of the most important things, and also one of the main things people seem to avoid. I work in service at a dodge dealership, and people will come in and spend HUNDREDS of dollars on their car, but when i tell them they need tires they look at me in discust and say "not right now" come on. Especially on a bike because if the tire did blow out, you only got two. the outcome will be a little worse then in a car.

the battle axe tires are about $120. if i where you it would have already been replaced.

just my .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its safer to just change the tire. It happened to me, yeah it sucks

·
Registered
157 Posts
try not to mix and match, whats on the front?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you got the ZX6R, stick with the Bridgestone BT015, I think they are great! I scuff them right to the the lip with no sign of losing grip and have now done 3500km and about half life!
I personally would not swap to anything else on this bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did my first track day on a plugged rear tire... having said that, I don't reccomend you do the same stupid things that I do.

Search Ebay for race takeoffs... Good and sticky, they've got plenty of life left for the street, and cost per mile is considerably less than a good set of street tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
my front ones are stock...07 6R if anyone can't tell.

edit: does anyone know if the warranty covers tires? i have been told that it does not but i just want to be sure.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The warranty will not cover tires. Go with whatever is on there now... replace it ASAP - and don't mix and match.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Any damage is an excuse to upgrade. Get a set of Pilot Powers.
Definitely... you will not be disappointed in these tires. Not to get into another "my tire is better than your tire" debate though.

As far as riding on a tire with a leak, nail, etc. DON'T DO IT.

scenario a) you blow the tire when cornering and you bin it.
scenario b) you spit the nail out and it hits your buddy behind you, and you still bin it when the tire blows

As stated...in a car when you blow a tire, you have 3 left and the consequences aren't nearly as bad.

On a bike... you blow the rear tire, when in a corner, weird things can happen. You might simply low side... or you may start a low side, try to compensate and the deflated tire bites something and you high side it.... at this point the bike will literally pick you up, and slam you into the pavement like a WWE wrestler. not recommended.

I say replace ASAP.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've have my ZX-6R for less than a month. Just got over 1,000 miles. When I got home last Saturday I saw that there is a damn nail in my fron tire. I haven't even made the first payment yet!! So she's been sitting in the garage all week waiting until payday. The tire isn't loosing any air pressure at all! It's calling me to ride it around the block. But I'm just going to wait until Saturday to get it fixed. And that front tire isn't cheap. the dealer wants like $170 for a new one. How much more do the back ones cost?

How often do you guys get nails in your tire?

·
Registered
144 Posts
the 07's come w/ battle axe's. you can find them for much cheaper then $170
i have found them for around $100 for the front and $130 for the rear

If you want to upgrade i highly recommend Pilot Powers

·
Registered
29 Posts
the 07's come w/ battle axe's. you can find them for much cheaper then $170
i have found them for around $100 for the front and $130 for the rear

If you want to upgrade i highly recommend Pilot Powers
I've seen them online for $100. But then all the dealers around here want to charge you $70 to mount them!!! I would like to upgrade but the tires are less than a month old and I don't have the funds to buy both the front and back and I really want to ride this weekend!! I think I'll just bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts