Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy crashed my bike, nothing serious, says a van swerved at him but i think he was just embarrassed that he crashed, just layed it down going about 20, slide, then highsided. so it got both side of the bike. damage was mostly cosmetic. Although he did scrap the ignition cover through and there was a hole in it, which oil was coming out of? im not an expert by no means, but there shouldnt be oil in here correct, is it common for a seal in there to fail? there is a few gears, for the starter?, but they are only running when the starting is working correct? so they shouldnt need any oil? whats wrong? i need help, is that from the crash or just a seal that went out that i didnt notice? and how hard would it be to fix... any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
1: Buy a service manual or take it to a shop.
2: Stop letting other people ride your motorcycle. It isn't like a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a service manual but it didnt say much when i looked through it, and i wasnt planning on it but he let me ride his harley that was worth about ten of my bikes.. so i figured it was a fair trade.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Should have been with the stipulation that you get his bike if he crashes yours.

And fuck Harleys, the only thing they are good for is selling to buy a sport bike, and making insane DB per HP ratios.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When people ask to ride my bike...I ask if I can ride there Wife/GF?

Usually ends that conversation pretty quick.

·
Registered
383 Posts
my buddy just let me ride his 636 over the weekend.. I was kinda nervous, not that I couldnt ride but what if someone hit me.. I guess I shouldnt ride other bikes that arent mine..

·
Registered
81 Posts
My buddy crashed my bike, nothing serious, says a van swerved at him but i think he was just embarrassed that he crashed, just layed it down going about 20, slide, then highsided. so it got both side of the bike. damage was mostly cosmetic. Although he did scrap the ignition cover through and there was a hole in it, which oil was coming out of? im not an expert by no means, but there shouldnt be oil in here correct, is it common for a seal in there to fail? there is a few gears, for the starter?, but they are only running when the starting is working correct? so they shouldnt need any oil? whats wrong? i need help, is that from the crash or just a seal that went out that i didnt notice? and how hard would it be to fix... any advice is appreciated.
What side is the hole . I take it you are talking about the right hand side of the bike and not the generator side ?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You don't lay a bike down at 20 mph and rash a hole through the engine cover. I laid it down at NINETY, bike slid at least 75 yds, and barely had a penny-sized hole. Sounds like the stator/generator cover and yes there is supposed to be oil there. No seal, etc, failed. Don't forget to order a gasket with the engine cover too.

And if the bike flipped, which it sounds like it did "lowside then highside", get a shop to take a look at the frame - at least. Check you forks for scratches and lateral creases indicating a bend, they should be smooth. I'd also unmount the tires and take them somewhere to "balance" which you're really just checking to see if they're still true. Better to find out with them off the bike than shaking like crazy at speed while riding. If you need anything with bearings/seals and you buy salvaged parts order new bearings/seals and have then installed while the parts are off the bike. Save peace of mind and money on labor.

Sorry about your bike but I don't think you got the whole story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts