Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had aftermarket pipes on any of my motorcycles. I am not against them, I just prefer to keep my bike as quiet as it can be. But, one reason I think a loud exhaust would come in handy...

It would alert other drivers around me, especially when I am in their blindspot or somewhere immediately around them.

If you have a loud pipes, do people stay farther away and take time to look around after they put their blinker on instead of plowing on into you?

What is your opinion? If you have loud pipes/exhaust, do you know firsthand that they work for you? Have they ever saved you while riding your moto?

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Hell yeah...... kids never run out in front of me ..... they do run out to look LOL.
In cities pedestrians are the worst...... step straight out .... then they hear me snap their head around and step back.
I have the brakes covered at all times and often slow right down to be safe...... I have tried quiet pipes and that is just plain BAD they simply don't see or hear me and I do stop.
besides I have a duty in this town ....... 6:35 am is when I go to work and that's how the rest know it's time to get up.
LOL half the town is late when I am

·
Registered
449 Posts
You have seen the little bumper sticker on 4x4's "Loud pipes save lives" I think you get more attention from other drivers on the road with a pipe. It's ironic cuz I just took the stock pipes off my wifes zx900 and I'm gonna throw a supersport on it tonight,just so other folks know she is on the road,she is a new rider so I am going to use every safety measure I can get. I am one who holds to the notion that Loud pipes indeed do save lives!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have never noticed a difference myself. I just like the more pronounced exhaust note produced with the aftermarket pipes. Although, I'm sure being heard at a greater distance can't be a bad thing from a safety perspective.

+1 slim on your "civic duty" to wake everyone up for work. I'll keep that in mind next time buddy next door tries to spay me with the hose early in the morning :crackup

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a D&D on may old ZX6R and have Satos on my RC51. Without a doubt, LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES. My ZX10R still has the stock exhaust and I hate it. Too quiet. I've already had several cars cut me off in traffic because they did not see or hear me coming. Loud pipes helps to let other drivers notice you. I can't wait to put a new exhausts o my 10R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This would be my first experience with an aftermarket exhaust and I have already noticed a bit of a difference in the way people behave around me. Sure we still have the idoits that pay little attention to anything on the road but when I crack the throttle around them it appears to stir them out of their auto pilot slumber. :smile

I think I will have a better answer to this question come the end of our Northern riding season, yet thus far the aftermarket pipe has had more positive effects then negative.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think loud pipes annoy more people than save lives.... and I love annoying people! What a great way to wake up a dozy ped crossing as the light turns green. "Hostile" has been used to describe the BlueFlame can on the 9!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A loud exhaust is only good in parking lots, where the sound is ahead of the bike. At speed all an exhaust does is scare the person youre passing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Loud pipes definitely have saved my life before as a pedestrian or on a bicycle. It also seems effective once you are in the blind spot. I'll catch myself sometimes not paying enough attention, and once I notice the sound, they are usually in my blind spot.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
get the pipes, im lookin for them too

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think they do so much these days
Everyone seems to drive around with their windows up, the aircon on, the radio on high, the kids screaming in the back, and talking on their phone.
They certainly wouldn't hear you if you flew past in an F18 on full afterburner.
I just try and stay out of their way
Having said that, I love my Akra's, but that's just because I think that's the way a high performance sport bike SHOULD sound.
cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the few people who still drive with the window down, not talking on the cell phone and playing the radio at a humane level that aftermaket pipe might save your life. Also if you've ever had to cut through traffic due to a massive back up on the free way (not promoting illegal behavior in anyway) it pays to rev up every now and then rolling down the lane. As usual though don't rely on anything 100% of the time except for your eyes and instincts. That will save you more times than not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everyone seems to drive around with their windows up, the aircon on, the radio on high, the kids screaming in the back, and talking on their phone.
They certainly wouldn't hear you if you flew past in an F18 on full afterburner.
Having said that, I love my Akra's, but that's just because I think that's the way a high performance sport bike SHOULD sound.
cheers
+1

i don't know how well other people can hear me coming. but at 3am going to the gym i set off at less 5 car alarms on my street. 4 of them is at 2 different college rental houses. and 1 is the corner neighbor who parks in the street. it's the same thing at the parking garage where my wife works. i love it.........

·
Registered
288 Posts
cheers
+1

i don't know how well other people can hear me coming. but at 3am going to the gym i set off at less 5 car alarms on my street. 4 of them is at 2 different college rental houses. and 1 is the corner neighbor who parks in the street. it's the same thing at the parking garage where my wife works. i love it.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a professional trucker and I gotta say that aftermarket exhausts let me know a bikes around BEFORE I see it,whereas a stock exhaust isn't heard until AFTER the bike passes me.
Don't get me wrong,some jackass winding his 4 finger pipe out at 03:00a pisses me off as much as Joe Citizen,but the 80db reg really isn't contributing to our safety.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts