Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to put nitrous on my 14R at the end of last season to see if it would go 7's on a stock clutch on spray. I had a Rock Solid hand slider that I was going to put in it over the winter, so i was really hoping to get there with 2 TNT's left in the season. I decided to lower my front forks a little more to try and help with wheelies. I lowered the front forks down to about 1 3/4 inches plus my strap. So that put my bike at about 68 3/4 inches long. Which is short for the bikes today around here lol.

The first day out at the track, I only had (2) 2lb bottles with me and nothing but a torch and my truck to keep them warm. My bike setup is pretty simple. It has Valve springs, a little bigger intake cam and a milled head with the ports cleaned up. My good friend that helps me with my bike let me tune my bike on his dyno. He had me put a single 28 jet in an MPS spray bar that I got off a buddy. I really didn't figure it would be enough but if I have learned anything, it is that he is always right. He has been building drag bikes for 20+ years and his father in law was a Pioneer in NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycles.

He had me set my controller to start at 50% and build in 2 seconds up to 75% of that jet. It ended up making 253&151 at 75% of that little 28 jet! So, off to the track I went. I only had the bottle with 3 or 4 pulls on the dyno and one fresh 2 lb bottle. That day it went [email protected] on my 3rd out of 4 passes that I got. So I had one pass right at the end of the day. I turned my controller up from 10% start and 4.5 seconds build and 75%. Up to 15% start 4 seconds build and 100%. That bottle was about gone so I thought. It ended up doing a monster wheelie when i hit 2nd and had to let off. Ended up with [email protected]

My last day out, i had 2 fresh bottles but it was only 60 degrees outside. So, it was impossibly hard to keep my bottle warm enough till I got to the line since I didn't have a bottle heater and our Tech guy frowns on torches. I brought some weight for my front axle and ended up using 10lbs out of the 20lbs that I had. I was fighting bottle pressure so bad that i would get it up to about 1100psi then by the time I got to the line is was down to 900psi. That was my biggest problem. On my last 2 passes, i had a couple buddys, that were there, help me heat my bottle up since they had a torch too. 2nd pass on my last 2lb bottle at about 1100psi it went [email protected]! I came back and had one last shot and my buddy said, hey I have a fresh and HOT 2.5lb bottle if you wanna throw it on real quick. We threw it on real quick and i went right back up there. My nitrous is on a wide open switch and i am wide open by about the tree so it comes on quick. Well this fresh bottle that they gave me came on so hard that i knew it was going to do a huge wheelie when it hit second since it had been doing wheelies still with 10lbs on the front, just not that bad. I timed it as best I could that as soon as i hit second, i chopped then got right back in it. It ended up going [email protected]!

It wasn't the 7 second pass that I wanted so bad, but in 2 days on my own bike, i broke my personal quickest and fastest pass ever that stood for 4 years. I had been [email protected] on a buddys busa. I had my clutch basket out and was about to put my hand slider in when our Committee decided to create a new class for PMRA. My bike would be good in that class as long as i didn't put my slider in. So the rock is going to have to wait for a little while longer! I had my go pro mounted on my bike but thought i had forgot to turn it on. I got home and realized it had recorded my 2 best passes and the whole drive home. lol. I saw a girl I knew and she told me she got video from the stands as well and ended up sending it to me. Hopefully this season will bring me my 7 second slip!

Here is the girls video.

https://youtu.be/0JXkPe46KTg

And here is from my go pro. I left the 2 best passes together.

https://youtu.be/E6_9A6kJvf0

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pure sickness man.

Congrats on the new personal bests.

7's in no time at all.

Thanks man! I hope so. At this point I may just end up skipping high 7's and go right to low 7's if all goes right. A guy up north from me, messaged me the other night and asked if I would want to ride his bike in pro Open toward the end of the season. He has a 1k and has been way deep in the 7's. The setup is very capable of 6's. He wants to focus more on tuning and having it setup right. Plus I'm about 35-40lbs lighter. This season may definitely be interesting!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's sweet getting to be a jockey.

You certainly have the skills and the best of luck with that.
I am extremely lucky that some guys trust me enough to ride their bikes. I have definitely put the time in at the track to get where i'm at. Thanks man! Best of luck to you as well this year!

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I am extremely lucky that some guys trust me enough to ride their bikes. I have definitely put the time in at the track to get where i'm at. Thanks man! Best of luck to you as well this year!
You can ride my bike and put it in the 8's :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am always down to ride a 14R! I had a buddy come down the year before last. His bike was setup the same as mine except he was a little longer and had a shock. He was going 9 teens. I adjusted his clutch lever before I made a pass. Made a pretty soft hit and went 8.80 something. I told him to leave the lever like that. His next pass was his first 8 second pass! It was awesome! He was definitely happy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts