Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone posted a "how to" on installing the block off plates for the SMOG system? I am wondering how much stuff needs to be taken off the bike to get to them. I searched around for a while w/ no real luck. If there is a thread out there, please post the link, if not, could somebody hokk a brother up?

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
You can get to them from the front behind the radiator, if I remember right. Do the plugs while you are in there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is a real simple job to do just a tight time consuming work area.
remove your side fairings and squeeze your hands in there lol oh and do not forget to remove the reeds

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
I would wait until a valve adjustment check was due since you have to take all that crap apart anyway and you could work on the cylinder head cover after it's been removed instead of busting your knuckles doing it in situ.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, what are the reeds? Are they connected to the assemblies the hose connects to? I can take of the side fairings. I also will need to remove the gas tank or no? I am not afraid to squeeze in there from the side if it is possible w/o taking off the tank & cover.

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
The reeds are inside the cylinder head cover. They let air be sucked into the exhaust but prevent backwash from coming back up into the airbox. They can be left in place, but are just dead weight once the block-offs go on. Personally, I would leave them in to preclude any exhaust pressure from pushing on the block-off plate gaskets.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
mine didn't come with gaskets you remove the piece that holds the reeds then remove the reeds and replace the holder it has gasket on it. I also picked up a billet plug for the air box off ebay.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anal retentive have a hyphen?

It's kind of a pain for me to get my hands in there, and to pull the cover for adjusting the valves you have to pull the covers and the attached harnesses.

To make the assembly and disassembly a bit easier I studded the cam cover so now everything just drops into place. The heat shield, the harnesses, and the covers don't have to be removed.

No more fighting to get everything aligned and the bolts started.

Food for thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts