Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for smog block off plates... and they all look like two little plates of metal, one square inch each, that cover... something. And they all cost upwards of 30, 35 dollars... this seems sorta... rediculous. Anyone block them off themselves? sheet metal? cardboard? duct tape? electrical tape? If anyone knows how, or has some 2 cents to throw me here, i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Bike Is Getting Dyno Tomorrow And The SMog Will Be Removed Along With The Cats To Get AN Acurate Reading. I Will Post Some Pictures On How To Do It The Proper Way, You Can Actually Remove The Smog System And Create A Vacum In Your Crankcase And That Will In Some Engines Create More Power, Cant Say It Will On The Zx10 As I Am Dooing All This Tommorow And Will Run The Bike With It On And With It Off To See The Diffrence On The Dyno. I Will Also Dyno Run The Bike With The Secondary Butterflys On And Off To See If There Is A Real Improvement, And Same With The Exhasut Valve That Closes And Opens. I Will Post All My Results Later Tomorrow Night.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man i'd appreciate that... i know when you remove the smog system you need the plates to block it off, but do you need to buy those plates for 35 bucks or can you just use something else?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually You Do Not Need To Buy Anything... The Plates Are A Rip Off. I Will Show You Tomorrow In The Pictures What To Do. Simply Just Disconnect A Couple Of Hoses And Reconnect Them To Each Other.
Simply Said You Will Block Off The Hole From Your Airbox That Your Crankcase Vent Tube Is Connected 2, That Way All Of The Air Goes In Your Engine And Not Anywhere Else. Then You Take That Tube And Connect It ... Ohh It Will Be Easier To Explain Everything With Pictures... I Will Do It Asap Tomorrow

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have not had any time to load the pictures dude. im sorry i will do it tomorrow after i finish all the work on the bike, i can tell you this thow, you will not be dissapointed as when i removed the smog system and gutted my cats the power increased about 4hp

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thats handy... though im not looking for power, i just want to get rid of the damn backfiring...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was just wondering that... anyway, hurry up man! my air filter is here and I wanna put it in, but i wanna remove the clean air system at the same time so i cant install my filter til i know what im doing...

·
Registered
515 Posts
spend about $4 and get some stuff at the auto store called quicksilver or JB weld equivilant, rip out all that shat and plug the small holes under the stock plates, careful not to get anything inside that hole!! THATS IT... then plug the INPUT hole on the gas tank where the fumes returned from the smog shat, and leave the output one open.. oh, and plug the airbox hole

easy cheesy....

you'll lose more weight if you just remove it all!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anyone tell me what the clean air system looks like? or possibly give me pictures? thanks Kdankenb

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you don't have the service manual, I'm sure someone can post some pics here, or I will be tearing mine apart this weekend to prep for the next race, I'll get pics then if no one else has posted anything..

at the back of the service manual, the smog system is in great detail... hmmm, didn't someone on here post the service manual for everyone to download????

basically, you remove anything connected to the block off plates, and the carbon canister, along with those 2 devices.. then plug 2 holes ... 1 at the air box, 1 and the fuel tank...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
The plates/kleen air mods will help the backfiring a little. If you're running an aftermarket pipe though, only cure is a pc3 and a decent map. the maps on the dynojet site are pretty rich and you'll still backfire. I still get a single pop occasionally. i guess there is some fire coming out of the pipes...or so i've been told.

if you can afford the race ecu, a custom map shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont know if u have found how to do this but yeah dont buy the plates. I have heard that removing the smog system will lean out your bike and possibly burn your valves so i was told to get a power commander so something like it first. i have a friend that did this and if u still need help i can ask him and post the how to

1 - 16 of 16 Posts