Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was setting my bike up for winter storage. Got it on the stand and was shining my flashlight around looking around the motor trying to remember where i tucked away the battery charger dongle. I noticed a bead of fluid hanging off the left hand side of the bike by the trans case. I rubbed my finger and looked at it. Clear, and thin. Seems like brake fluid. Except there are no brake hoses here, so that means this must be a clutch fluid leak of sorts. I took a look to examine here and it appears there are 3 8mm hex bolts holding down a cover of sorts, and a plastic or rubber gasket. I grabbed my wrench and checked them. All 3 are equally snug but I gave them each a teeny extra just to make sure. Not a lot, maybe 1/16 rotation.

I popped the dust cap off the bleeder screw. This area is dry. The top portion seems dry with no residue either. It seems this drip originated from the bottom/back portion of this triangular gasket. Any idea what is going on here? My reservoir is low but still between the lines. I've never actually looked at these fluids aside from a quick glance to see there was fluid in the reservoirs occasionally. There are no leaks on the ground so whatever this is it is a very very very slow leak because this is the first time in 7 months of ownership that I have even noticed this, and I've definitely poked around the engine a bit. Squeezing and holding, or pumping the clutch lever doesnt seem to push any more fluid out of wherever its leaking. At least, in the 20 seconds I was down there watching as I pumped the clutch.

I'm just not sure what I need to do here.
My finger is pointing to the side where I discovered this drop of fluid.

Hood Automotive tire Crankset Automotive lighting Bicycle part

· Registered
514 Posts
Common issue with Kawasaki Bikes that have a Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder.
The 3 bolts are not the issue, It's the Seal Inside the assembly that wears and lets By Fluid (Blue Arrow)
You need to Pop that side Belly Pan off, Remove the 3 Bolts and gently apply the Clutch lever that will push the Cylinder out enough to pry it out, But only apply about 1/2 lever movement or the lot will pop out inside.

Once you get it off the cover enough to see inside you should notice the Fluid residue, In this instance you need to remove the Slave Cylinder completely to replace the seal which will need you to disconnect the Clutch Line because you need access the the cylinder to strip, Clean & Install the new seal.

· Registered
2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common issue with Kawasaki Bikes that have a Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder.
The 3 bolts are not the issue, It's the Seal Inside the assembly that wears and lets By Fluid (Blue Arrow)
You need to Pop that side Belly Pan off, Remove the 3 Bolts and gently apply the Clutch lever that will push the Cylinder out enough to pry it out, But only apply about 1/2 lever movement or the lot will pop out inside.

Once you get it off the cover enough to see inside you should notice the Fluid residue, In this instance you need to remove the Slave Cylinder completely to replace the seal which will need you to disconnect the Clutch Line because you need access the the cylinder to strip, Clean & Install the new seal.

so i watched a video on this. Just squeeze lever enough to pop out the piston into my hand. Replace seal. Then you have to refinish the inside machined surface. Any ideas on how to do that?

· Registered
514 Posts
As this is the sealing surface for the Seal it requires some gentle cleaning, I use a scotch cloth with any Lubricant and rub it just enough to remove any surface crap.

You might refer to them with a different name so picture below.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts