Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing this for a while. I guess I am talking out loud. Every once and a while, I smell a little gas after I have parked it for a while. I have replaced every hose and gasket on the tank, new fuel lines from the tank all the way to the pump as well as a new fuel filter. How prone are these pumps to leaks? Is there a way to OHM out the pump. I never even hear the pump on to be honest. When is the pump suppposed to turn on, or is is on all the time? could it be fuct to the point where it just lets the gas pass through? I just picked up a 94 ZX9 parts bike with a pump. Could I swap the pumps and run it to see if that is the problem. I dont want to go thow parts at it unless it is a 75HP shot of juice..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is definetly leaking from below. I did replace all of the o-rings. I searched High and low. by the way, if anyone needs any. I have 500 o-rings for the fuel T's and breathers. Mine were cracked, I had a hell of a time. I ended up having to buy them wholesale in quantity. They are gas rated, recommended by my local race shop

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
you will hear your pump run if you turn off your gas ,start the bike and run it untill it runs out of gas. turn the key back on and the pump will run untill the carbs fill back up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont really hear my pump running, I am pulling the tank off this weekend and checking it out. I got a pump I pulled off of my ZX9 parts bike to try and do an ol' swapper oo..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same problem, found that I had small pin hole on bottom of tank next to sending unit. It was caused from water setting in the bottom of the tank and this was caused from the drain tube that goes from under the gas cap to the drain tube that comes out of the tank being stopped up with dirt/ dust. The tube had a rust hole inside the tank and each time I would wash the bike or get caught in the rain it would let a little more water in. Now this might not be your issue but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So how did you fix it? I am going to run the gas out of the bike and pull the tank off. Look for anything. I did re-gasket the whole tank. I am almost ready to give up and take it to Fornarelli's.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
After removing the tank I removed all fuel lines, sending unit (it will need a new gasket as you will just start another leak) gas cap then I washed the tank out. Then to un-clog the drain tube I found an old cable from my kids 4-wheeler that I had replaced, using a drill I put the cable in the chuck and ran it down the tube (I tried several cleaners and compressed air to no avail) . This did the trick. I then cleaned the tube out with carb cleaner before I sealed it off with JB Weld, this is the same thing I used in the tank bottom after a good sanding with rough sand paper 100 grit. Be careful with the JB if you drop any on the painted areas it will not come off, lesson learned as I now have a couple of pinhead size gray spots on my tank. I checked out several places for a replacement tank but I could not find one that did not need to be repainted. I will either replace the tank or the drain tube when I am ready to repaint the bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you basically roto-rooted out the drain tube and then sealed it off. Didnt you say it was water in your case? I have a spare tank I will sell you cheap if interested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, no water in the case, just the tank. The tank you have is it my color or would I have to repaint. As of now I am still several months away from a paint job, prob next winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts