Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Since receipt of my ZX10R 'Widow Maker' (as there known in the UK) I have only managed to clock up 1200 miles (it is winter here you know 8 months of the year). :rotflmao
I find at slow speeds whist I am sitting upright the back end will break away for a split second esp. on roundabouts, and this seems to be exaggerated while riding one handed. Due to my job I tend to be quite animated whilst riding, when talking to students about hazards etc.
This is not a statement of my silly nor dangerous riding style.

Has anyone else found this problem at slow speeds?

The cure it seems for me (anyway) is to be 100% committed when cornering at these lower speeds. I do not use my baby for teaching novices, but had to try it once.
My 2001 Tiger is a completely different bike, but this has never happened to me whilst teaching before.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey Mog....

I noticed the same thing every so often when riding with the stock Dunlop tires. Not always, but occassionally.

It was usually when the tires weren't up to temp though. The roads over here (from what I recall of my trip there a year ago) are somewhat different in paving styles. More of a paved flat surface, where I believe, yours is more pebbled. This may also exagerate that feeling.

200% committed wouldn't be a bad thing on this bike all the time, and I recommend it highly.

On a side noted... Since installing my Michelin Pilot Powers (PP), I have yet to notice this happen once. The tires are amazing, and they hook up ang grab on cold pavement, wet pavement, etc.

Maybe the Dunlops just aren't made for you temps and roads over there.

I would suggest some new rubber might get rid of that issue. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swoosh,
Cheers Mate, I am not normally one for messing with the bike until every thing is u.s. on it, but I will see how they do when the weather warms up here, I would imagine I should change them July time and I will swop them for your Pilot Powers suggestion.

Funny you mentioned committment on this bike, it was the main reason for buying it. I was getting bored with what bikes were capable of, and after reading a few reviews of the ZX I knew that this was the bike to make riding enjoyment return. My wife secretly arrange a test ride at my local dealership for my birthday, the rest is history.
The other R1/Fireblades/GSXR all seemed to tame and I wanted something that demanded 200% committment and concentration. Like I said, once it is ridden at any speed and your committed, the bike reflects what you want to do like telepathy.
I have owned ZXR750, ZZR1100, Blackbirds etc but this bike is so focused it caught me out.
Fantastic bike, I would go so far to say it is THE greatest bike I have ever ridden, esp. when it gets into its groove at triple figure speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts