Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Forum - I've just traded an R1 and got a 2007 10 and finally broke it in on Sunday.
Fantastic bike with one but. The side stand.

I was in Wales at the weekend - parked the bike up - walked away - the next thing it had crashed into a wall. Luckily I've put Mushrooms on and the damage was a broken mirror, and scratched bottom panels and me feeling like a total w--ker - Not to expensive all things considering, but I've been riding aorund 30 years on and off and this was a first. It wasn't on a massive slope and lots of other bikes were parked around - again luckily I missed them.

Its a shame that with all that fantastic engineering expertise that the side stand is a bit iffy.
Aside from that WOW - it is fast

10 Posts
I agree. My 06 ZX10R has the worlds worst side-stand. Too tall and the bike wants to roll off of it. Kaw needs to address this with current and future owners via new stand.
BG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hopefully if enuff of us from 05 and up address the issue then Kaw might recall and put one that locks alittle until u kick it up, but MINES SUCK! I will look in2 it and get back in a day or 2 or 3.....(I started locking it an feel a little more safe!)

Keep the "rubber side down"...
www.cycloneriders.com/aboutus.asp?Chapter=3
'07 ZX10R
'06 636 (sold)
'94 KAT 600 (sold)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen on a few forums where people have complained that their bikes have been pushed over - I wonder in some cases whether they have just rolled forward amd fell.

I will mail Kawasaki - through whether it will make any difference - who knows.

At least the panels aren't to expensive- My mates Honda ones are very dear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeah ,sidestand on my 05 10r is to high too?it only needs the least amount off force to roll over it are sometimes when the ground not so flat it just wants to fall over to the other side .

·
Registered
60 Posts
You know...by golly you're right! Both my '07 10 and '00 12 give me that uncomfy feeling. Maybe this is a Kaw thing????

The 12 taught me something after a couple close calls, that has now become a habit.

My first parking space decision is to locate a surface where I can park the bike nose-up with a slight lean to the left side. If I cannot get that, a level surface is next best, and I generally leave my bike in gear on that surface.

Oh yes! I'm sure glad bikes won't ride with the sidestand down. That would be another story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be leaving mine in gear in future and I'll take a bit longer to park up and make sure everything is stable. It'll give me even more time to look at her.

It looks as though its going to be a glorious easter holiday - so I''l be out this weekend after all who needs mirrors !!!!!!!!! I know everyone is behind me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine fell of the kick stand as well. I blame myself since it hasn't happened since, but I'm more careful about making sure it's locked all the way now.

I'm sure it was my fault and not that of the kickstand, but on the other hand, maybe it could have been designed better from the start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wup, even with my locking and precautions... I have no precautions 4 starting it and letting it run in neutral!!!!! 2day I turned it on 2 run while I put on my helmet and gloves (like I normally do) and wha-lah... I turned and boo-yow.... It actually took about 2 - 5 secs 4 the tipover to activate and it cut off but by that time I was lifting it (like a grandmother lifting a car off her grand child!!) lifted straight no knees or anything...lol... Pissed yes... but my chrome sliders did their job, with some scuffs...(but thats y I paid for them)!!! my footpeg broke off and left mirror has a lil scuff but that is it.. Just sharing... and venting cuz I am still vexed! Scared 2 see the price on my damn peg!

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1
Me too.
That's one thing I noticed from the get go.
She sits real upright on the stand. :headscratch
Gotta be real careful where and how you park. I reckon it would only take someone to bump her and she'd go over. :eek:hno
The other day I parked at a place near Sydney on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. The wind was really strong and I wasn't game to leave her.
Had to move her to another spot so as she was leaning over further and not so upright. If I'da left her in the first spot the wind would of blown her over.
The stand needs to be a bit shorter or kick forward further.
Come on big K, redesign the stand and offer a replacement under rule
14897-b, subsection c, under the heading "looking after customers" where it says about doing the right thing. :lol
cheers :cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been riding for three years and the first time I dropped a bike was because of the damn kickstand. For three years none of my bikes ever fell but this one got me while warming up in Neutral. I thought I was the only person complaining about the kickstand too. At least now I know I m not crazy. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings & salutations from (KAWBOY),1st gear engaged,bike all alone,bike rolled forward against gear,kick stand all the way into position.That should do it.Kick stand not designed to keep bike from rolling, always engage 1st gear & roll bike forward till it stops & wheel is trying to rotate engine. I know because it happened to me many moons ago. Only on cheaper equipment.Enjoy your 10, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brought my 10 home for the first time, pulled into garage, put kickstand down and started to lean bike and it kept going. I was able to catch it before it went to far but scared the sh!t out of me. Now when I put the stand down I have made it a habit of lowering the stand and putting my foot down directly behind it (in the same motion) and pull the bike back (with stand against my foot) to make sure it is locked in. Don't know if that may help anyone but that's what I do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's the contact info from Kawasaki's website. If we feel passionate enough about this, Kawasaki may respond to multiple requests for a fix.

Here is the contact information statement from the Kawasaki website...

"If you have a product concern which may be time sensitive, we highly recommend calling Kawasaki Consumer Services at 949-460-5688. An example would be if your Kawasaki product is currently at a Kawasaki dealer for repairs and assistance is desired."

Also, here is their mailing address if you don't feel phone response was sufficient.

Mailing Address:
Attn: Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
PO Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

Letters with confirmed delivery would be good. Be nice, but firm. We can give them a month to respond with a safe fix. At this point, I'm going to be optimistic that Kawasaki will care. We'll take this a step at a time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those are great for parking in the grassy parking areas like at a race track. I have one and it's a good thing to have for those situations. Of course, some people compress soft drink cans and put them under the stand to minimize soil movement underneath.

Unfortunately, on a level surface the bike is too upright for my comfort, and adding the thickness of the plate makes the bike even more upright.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts