Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a problem with the 615 lb Connie wanting to roll off the side-stand on a slight down angle? Fortunately, I caught mine before it rolled completely off. Is this a design flaw or is it common knowledge to park in gear when using the side stand?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone have a problem with the 615 lb Connie wanting to roll off the side-stand on a slight down angle? Fortunately, I caught mine before it rolled completely off. Is this a design flaw or is it common knowledge to park in gear when using the side stand?
I always leave mine in gear when parked and push the bike to ensure the gear is engaged and all slack taken up.

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, mine nearly got away from me when I rolled it out of the garage, nearly pulled me over as I was mid step, had to shift my weight to counter it, i've said it before and i'll say it again, I hate pushing it due to the weight distrobution being up so high (but glad it is when on the road as it is that that makes the handling so sharp), thank god its not a push bike!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Always always always in GEAR before sidestand ... OR when in gear.. use the sidestand to kill motor... then turn off ignition.. get yourself into a habit or Standard Op procedure.. and always follow it... Just like an airplane.. lots of similarity anyway ;)

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd like to agree for $12,899, Wink! I spent weeks trying to find a new handlebar piece for my old Seca 900 because of this, (my ex-wife bumped it forward (notice the "ex")). So, now the bike is always parked in gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Angle bank sensor

Another interesting thought here, A freind of mine a couple of years ago dropped his st1100 Pan European off the sidestand whilst moving it with the engine running. The angle bank sensor cut in and the engine cut out which it was supposed to do. Problem was the sensor was behind the dashboard behind the headlight and it did'nt reset when we lifted the bike,hence it would 'nt start. We had to strip down the fairing in a carpark to get to the sensor and tap it with a spanner to free it off. An hour and a half later we got the bike running. 99% of this time was taken removing screen,fairing top etc. Stupid place to put the sensor.
My question is what does our Gtr have to stop the engine running in the event of the bike going over and if anything how do you get it going again ? It is going to happen to one of us one day so maybe we should all know. I don't consider myself a selfish person but I hope it does'nt apply to me.:headscratch

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since reading your comments I've changed my parking procedures to leave it in gear. Makes perfect sense.

As far as the tip-over sensor, it does reset after turning off the ignition.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Suzuki SV's have a similar "vertical side stand". Grinding away some of the stand stop allows the stand to swing a bit further forward and the bike to lean over on the stand a bit more.
Just a thought.....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kawasaki sidestands = :potty
Like everyone else said, keep her in gear is a MUST while parked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thats exactly how my Connie14 went down last week. Friend parked on a very slight sloped driveway and it scooted away a couple minutes later down to the ground. I ALWAYS put it in gear before dismounting.:banghead

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thats exactly how my Connie14 went down last week. Friend parked on a very slight sloped driveway and it scooted away a couple minutes later down to the ground. I ALWAYS put it in gear before dismounting.:banghead
Sorry to hear that GTR, how did the bike take the fall, hope it did not do too much damage?

·
Registered
451 Posts
You could always trade in for a Piaggio MP3:rotflmao

·
Registered
59 Posts
It faired relatively well. The left side lower mirror perch and hardbag. If it wasn't for the hardbag it would've been way worse. Minor scrathces and couple of small gashes in the black plastic areas.

Sorry to hear that GTR, how did the bike take the fall, hope it did not do too much damage?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glad to hear it, lets hope someone comes up with some form of crash protector for it, as due to the weight i'd imagine plenty are going to have low speed drops, especially when pushing etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it's a matter of not who's on first but who's in first. Parked mine on a hill yesterday withg a 20% grade and you could not push it off the side stand. Sorry but the term greenhorn comes to mind.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it's a matter of not who's on first but who's in first. Parked mine on a hill yesterday withg a 20% grade and you could not push it off the side stand. Sorry but the term greenhorn comes to mind.
Well, I'm glad YOU are such an expert at parking on such a steep downhill slope. Not very many cars can park on a 20% grade. I bow to your greatness! :thefinger

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I'm glad YOU are such an expert at parking on such a steep downhill slope. Not very many cars can park on a 20% grade. I bow to your greatness! :thefinger

38 years riding, over 100 bikes, several types racing, never droped one (exept at the track), does't make me great but bygod one thing about it does make me is experienced. :thefinger :thefinger

1 - 19 of 19 Posts