Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a 1989Zx10 that I just purchased running again. Added a new battery, Ingition switch, Juction box and starter solenoid. All I get is a click for a second from the starter. Both the starter and the battery get hot fast. checked and confirmed the Pos lead to the starter is grounded. Doesn't that mean a bad starter? Thanks for an input

·
Registered
194 Posts
im not sure if you worded it wrong or miswrote your question but its kind of like you answered your own question ,., Yes that wire should not be grounded , it is a hot when switched wired so as u attempt to start your bike your causing a short to ground thats why the wires getting hot (too hot causes fires and melted conections soo check over your junction box)
re wire it dbl check u connected your battery properlly and post you findings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad I purchased a shop manuel

The wiring does appear to be correct. I removed the lead that goes from the starter solenoid to the starter. I then attached ( From my short tester) one wire to ground and one to the lead going to the starter and a short came up. If this indicative of a bad starter then I'll replace it. Good lord, I hope I don't have to remove the motor to swap in a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts