Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting close to firing this thing up !!
I put the clutch slave cylinder back on and this thing was dripping fluid like when I started to bleed the system. I am looking at the manual and I am hoping that the cylinder needs to go on EXACTLY just like the pictures in the book.... or I have NO IDEA where this leak is coming from. It almost looks like it is coming form the chain guard???? :rolleyes:

Anticipating that I have the cylinder on incorrectly...... (1/2 turn off... )

1. Has anyone used any type of gasket sealer with the plastic spacer on clutch slave cylinder? (BTW....when I got the bike they did have the plastic spacer...just regular gasket material and and TON of sealer) :mad:
2. Has anyone used/need gasket sealer on the chain cover?

BTW... I have a 92 ZX 11 C model

Thanks for the help
Todd

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are leaking fluid, you’ll probably have to rebuild your slave cylinder. It’s supposed to be a sealed system, like a brake caliper, so there is absolutely no reason to be putting sealant anywhere around the slave cylinder. The plastic spacer is just that, doesn’t seal anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response... upon further investigation, I did the old baby powder trick and it seems to be leaking out of the front sprocket cover??? Do you know if that should have some kind of gasket or sealant?

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Sprocket cover does not seal oil merely covers it. If the transmission cover is leaking you will need a gasket with some sealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I understand what you are saying it's not leaking on the portion that covers that front sprocket. But the clutch slave cylinder attaches to the left side of the sprocket cover and that's where it looks like it's leaking. I am assuming I need some kind of gasket for that?

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Is it possibly leaking from the pushrod seal behind that cover? Part# 92049-1017. Common on the ZX7, not sure on the ZX11. It is behind the slave cylinder mount. If bike is on the side stand does it leak out rapidly?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have it up on the center stand but I will try that first thing in the morning. I just got 1st and 2nd gear replaced and the transmission undercut . Not sure why it suddenly could have gone bad... but I have seen stranger things.
I added new Dot 4 brake fluid and I noticed I can't get any pressure at all... and then suddenly there is brake fluid all over my garage floor !!
I will give that a try ...
Thanks again !!
Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious ... if that seal easy to remove ? I assume remove the truss rod ... and then just pry it of then replace with new seal ? 5 minute job ?

Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possibly leaking from the pushrod seal behind that cover? Part# 92049-1017. Common on the ZX7, not sure on the ZX11. It is behind the slave cylinder mount. If bike is on the side stand does it leak out rapidly?
Really appreciate all of your help. One thing i noticed is that at the end of the push rod ....there seems to be a "cap" on the end of many of the Ninja bikes .... Should there be one on the ZX11 ? The reason I ask is that I removed the engine from the bike and took it to my local shop. ... I was very careful to label everything when i disassembled the bike...but I want to make sure I am not missing something. Or quite frankly that the last guy who owned this bike wasn't missing something.

Thanks again you guys have really been a great help!
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Looking at a fiche diagram, looks like there is not a cap on the pushrod.
If it is leaking brake/clutch fluid, it is definitely coming from the slave cylinder. That is the only spot the fluid could come from. If it is oil, then it would be coming from the engine cover/ seals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's oil it is likely the pushrod seal. If the rod is slightly misaligned it will spread the seal open and it will leak on to the chain. The rod shouldn't get misaligned since there is only one place for it to rest against the slave cylinder. Perhaps the seal itself is just bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just so I am making sense...
1. This is definitely not oil... This is brake fluid that is leaking out around the base of the of the sprocket cover.
2. Another interesting thing (I am finding a lot of these !!) the plastic gasket is not smooth on both sides. Could I have the wrong gasket? One side is obviously smooth and the other side has 3 places where there is a SLIGHT portion that is "raised" . Is this supposed to be there, slight imperfections in the molding of the plastic?

I still believe the primary leak is still around the base of the sprocket cover closest to thet slave cylinder....

Might be time to find a slave cylinder.... CRUD ... I have a doner bike but it does not have a slave cylinder

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
If it is brake fluid then your slave cylinder is leaking. It is exactly like a brake caliper, a sealed system. If it is leaking, you will need to replace the seal inside the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just so I am making sense...
1. This is definitely not oil... This is brake fluid that is leaking out around the base of the of the sprocket cover.
2. Another interesting thing (I am finding a lot of these !!) the plastic gasket is not smooth on both sides. Could I have the wrong gasket? One side is obviously smooth and the other side has 3 places where there is a SLIGHT portion that is "raised" . Is this supposed to be there, slight imperfections in the molding of the plastic?

I still believe the primary leak is still around the base of the sprocket cover closest to thet slave cylinder....

Might be time to find a slave cylinder.... CRUD ... I have a doner bike but it does not have a slave cylinder

Todd
It's always something simple !!!
So going through all of my ziplock bags that I stored my parts in when I was taking the bike apart ... I stumble on this ...

yes... that is the inside portion of the slave cylinder... not sure what happened... but I going to clean it up and I bet this fixes the problem !!
Will keep you posted....
Thanks for all the help
Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did a rebuild kit on mine. Very simple task clean and reinstall new gasket and spring and done.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts