Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a bike today ... sort of.

It's a 2002 ZX-6R (I think) ... or at least most of one.

Bike went through a bit of a wreck: destroyed both wheels, some piece up on the front fork got sheared off, and the plastics would need to be replaced.

Before the guy gave it to me, he took it apart, at least a bit: the plastics, the headlight, the gas tank, maybe some other stuff that I don't know about ...

I'm trying to decide if I should try to fix it up and sell it or just cave into the local bike shop and take the $300 they'd give me for it.

I'm not Captain Amazing when it comes to mechanics, but I'm not a complete retard either.

So ... what do you guys think? Too big of a project or very manageable?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local bike shop mechanic looked it over. The frame is (supposedly) straight and in good shape. Here are some pics with my crappy cell phone for now and tomorrow I'll get a real camera to get some better pictures:

Here's the problem I mentioned with the front fork:

For entertainment value, here's the rear wheel:

· Registered
105 Posts
they want to give you 3k for that?! I'd take the 3k. You'd spend far too much and have a lot to deal with to get that close to up and running.

take the 3k add a little bit and get an 05/06 (Best looking), and enjoy a hassle free, and sexy ride.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they want to give you 3k for that?! I'd take the 3k. You'd spend far too much and have a lot to deal with to get that close to up and running.

take the 3k add a little bit and get an 05/06 (Best looking), and enjoy a hassle free, and sexy ride.
I WISH they'd give me $3k for that. No no, their initial offer was $280. Seems like I could rip a few parts off the thing and make more than that. But the more I think about it, the more inclined I am to try and fix it up myself. Anyone know where I can get some replacement wheels at a reasonable price?

· Registered
105 Posts
He said 3 hundred, not thousand. :headscratch
I so read that wrong.:rofl

$300... you probably could make more parting it out yourself only mainly if the motor is still good.

Depends on your experience level, amount of time, and tools you have available. If the motor and frame are good, you have the time, knowledge and funds, you could have a solid bike that you know inside and own.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, decision's been made. I'm going for it.

I just ordered a new rear wheel off eBay and I'm hunting for a front one now too.

When I (inevitably) run into trouble spots, where is the appropriate place to post my question(s)? I'm very new here, but I want to follow the forum etiquette.

· Registered
105 Posts
I think a good way is, start a new thread of your own and give a run down of what you have now and plan to do. Throw pics up and people will comment and subscribe to it and chime in when you have questions.

Plus you'll have a good place that has logged all of the events from start to finish.

best of luck to you

· Registered
2000 ZX-9R sE1, 2002 ZX-9R sF1, 2000 ZX-9R E1 EVAP restore
9,886 Posts
+1 Spend a lot of time on eBay and Craigslist (save your searches & bookmark stuff to save time). The less in a rush you are to make it roadworthy the greater the odds are you'll come across some real steals there. I picked up a used rear wheel hugger for $0.99 + shipping. Duh! Nobody else bidded on it and now it's mine. :crackup Go over the frame with a bright light to be certain there aren't any stress fractures, especially around the steering head. Consider ditching the tires too. You have to figure they were pinched pretty good and are suspect for failure.

Didn't read all the posts. How does the engine run?

Looks like the PO tried to jump RR tracks and came up short. :lol

· Registered
105 Posts
The pics you posted. is this after you stripped her down a bit? or this is the base you are working with?

If so you will need a lot of parts, but you can check the classifieds here and on other kawai forums (if your a member there).

I'll see if I can find this thread I ran into that cross references various zx6r parts that are interchangeable.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MDeezy,

THANK YOU! That link is going to be very helpful.

The pics I posted are the "main" starting point, but I also have some other parts in a box from when the previous owner stripped it down. There's a gas tank, headlight, and not sure what else in the box. I'm going to try to get a decent camera and get pictures of everything today.

My guesstimate at the outset is that I'll spend about $1,000 in parts (secretly I'm hoping to spend a bit less): new wheels and tires, new right fork pipe, and a whole bunch of new fairings / bodywork / plastics / whatever they're called.

I've procured a service manual and I got anxious and ordered an allegedly-new rear wheel off ebay this morning. It's already painted black and it only cost me $80 (including shipping). The front wheels seem a bit harder to come by, so I'm going to spend a bit more time looking. I also need to do some more research into compatibility with other models or years. Ditto the front fork right pipe. I've seen some from a ZX-9R on ebay that look very similar, but I'm not yet sure if they're compatible.

I've been told that an experienced mechanic could do this whole thing in about 20 hours. Well, an experienced mechanic I am not, so I'm guessing I'll probably spend more like 80 hours. I'll have to do a lot more research and learning on steps and procedures that those guys could do without half the trouble. I'm also going to spend a fair amount of time searching for parts at a good price.

I'll start a new thread once I have better pics and provide a link at the end of this one.

· Registered
105 Posts
No problem mate!

Good luck! It may seem like a lot but a rebuilt can be fun. Keep us posted.

I suggest a quality Inventory. Once you know what you do have you can figure out what you don't have. Then you have a list of items to order.

Then stripping the bike down to the point where you can start building back up. Take it bit by bit. I'm sure an experienced mechanic could do it in 20 hours, but oh well you take your time have fun, do a good job. Hopefully you can be up and running by the time the temperature get warm and stays warm.

Lots of pics too, it will make for an incredible story. Here is how I got the bike....this is how it is now (insert image of bad ass bike). perfect Bike of the month material!

· Registered
426 Posts
ill double what the dealer offered you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.