Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Deni and I am new to this forum. I need to make a big decision and I need your help. I will write a lot of text but please bear with me.

I am planning to buy a motorcycle which will be ridden by me (23 years old) and my father (50). Right now we have a Beverly 350 scooter, however previously we also had a Z750 which we sold because of financial reasons. In 2007 we bought the Z750 brand new. It was chosen because both of us liked the upright sitting position compared the sitting position on supersport bikes that we do not like since we are both 6`1. I have ridden couple of supersports from friends and both were giving me forearm and wrist pain. In short we are looking for a powerful motorcycle with solid comfort.

That's how i started looking for adventure bikes, upright sitting position and plus pillion comfort, which was not that great on the Z750. I looked at Versys however I am not paying that much money for a liter bike with 118 horse power. My top favorite was the BMW S1000XR which has an update for 2020.

However one of the Kawa dealers gave me a very good price for the ZX14 2020, like 2k less than the BMW will start when it arrives. I had a chance to sit on it and both me and my father feel like is really comfortable bike, much more comfortable then supersports.

Finally coming to my question. I know that probobly the ZX14 cannot match the adventure bike comfort, however will it be that bad that I will be sorry for getting this awesome bike which my father also seems to like. Worth mentioning is that I don't have a car so this bike will be my everyday ride for commuting through the city, which kind of scares me since it is a really big bike and I would also go on longer weekend trips.

Sorry for the long post, however I am in a big dilemma and I need your help.

Thanks

·
Administrator
58,434 Posts
The 14R isn't that big once you get it out on the road.
If it's stop n go commute then it might get a bit tiring but for longer trips you'll be much happier.
Plenty of aftermarket accessories to make it even more comfortable.
I would check into insurance with you being 23. That's usually a game changer when it comes to the 14R
good luck

not sure if it's still going but there was a $1500 rebate on 2019 models

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Deni. The ZX is comfortable for a 2-3 hr ride, then you need to gas-up, stretch. Mine is stock, but I'm looking at something like the Corbin peg lowering kit and Genmar type handlebar risers. 70" height rider, age 60+
Power ? no problem. it's fine around town riding, but lots of engine heat. At normal highway speeds fuel economy is good, and no heat problems. Even the 4-1 header noise goes away!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your story about sharing a bike with your dad is interesting. Tell us more. My dad and I have been doing almost yearly rides since 1983. We had matching 1988 1000 Hurricanes, and 1999 XXs.
To your question, after 17 years on Blackbirds, I bought a new 2016 ZX14R and love it. I've ridden many 600-700 mile days with GenMar risers, Throttlemeister, and Corbin seat. It's no Gold Wing, but it's fairly comfy, smooth and FAAAAAAST!! I'm 67 years young and 5'6".

ominousone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone who replied. I think now the ZX14 is my top pick.

I have some stop n go while commuting to work, however I don't see another motorcycle that matches my/our wishes and standards especially in that price range and we are also kind of skeptical to get an European motorcycle :LOL: We have this quote: -"Your girlfriend can be from anywhere but your motorcycle must be from Japan"
The insurance thing works differently in our country so that is already checked and we will not have any problems, it will be pricier than normal, but here it does not get anywhere near US insurance. I have also asked the dealer for 2019 versions, however they don't have any left, since here in my country we are a small market and they don't even bring them in the dealership until someone orders one and pays for it. People rarely buy bikes this big over here.

Thanks again,
All the best

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Your story about sharing a bike with your dad is interesting. Tell us more. My dad and I have been doing almost yearly rides since 1983. We had matching 1988 1000 Hurricanes, and 1999 XXs.
To your question, after 17 years on Blackbirds, I bought a new 2016 ZX14R and love it. I've ridden many 600-700 mile days with GenMar risers, Throttlemeister, and Corbin seat. It's no Gold Wing, but it's fairly comfy, smooth and FAAAAAAST!! I'm 67 years young and 5'6".

ominousone
Having matching bikes with your father is even more interesting if you ask me. I was not even born in 1988, so I had to google the Hurricane and I must admit it looks really nice in that black/red color combination.

So basically my father has spent most of his life on motorcycles. He mostly rode KTM enduros and super-cross while young, however he doesn't like them, he says that he spend more time fixing them in the garage instead of really riding them. Before I was born he also owned a MZ 251 1991 which he seems to praise a lot. After I was born he sold his bike to get a proper car.
Being experienced with motorcycles, most people before buying motorcycles were asking opinion from him, or to test ride the bike they were about to buy. I remember I was 6 years old and he just hopped on that Honda cruiser and said hop on we are going for a ride. And that was it, from that moment I knew that I also want to ride.

Couple of years later we bought that Z750. I was his favorite pillion and took me on moto tours and gatherings very often or just for simple fun rides. When I got 14 (legal age to get 50 cc scooter licence - just test for traffic rules) he bought me this scooter which was my first steps in this sport lets say. My father also rode the scooter to work on rainy days, although he looked funny on it. When I got 18 (legal age to have licence for 125 cc and above bike) we bought the Beverly 350, because the small scooter was well... small. At this point I could not ride the Z because you need to get 2 years of experience before riding something above 60 HP. Since I was a responsible and didn't cause any trouble he was good and was letting me ride the Z from time to time even tough he knew we could of get fined if I get pulled up ?. We were getting along quite well actually, after some time he even went more for the Beverly since he liked it more for commuting through the city traffic. And the Beverly is a hell of a scooter, I went on some 100 mile trips and its really good except of getting there in 2 hours you need like 3 and a half because you cannot go more than 60-68 mph.
At one point because some financial reasons my father decided that we should sell the Z and that is what we did.
Now I have graduated and started working, I am earning solid money and we agreed that we are going to buy a bike (upgrade of Z750) and it must be at least a liter bike. Cause we are not used having only one motorcycle at home when the summer comes (that is when we don't get along), fights come up for who is gonna take the Beverly to work ?.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I, and I'm sure everyone here, loves stories such as yours. What Country are you guys in, out of curiosity.

My dad and I have been doing some kinda motorcycle trips/rides since 1983, when he was about 49 yr old and I was about 30 yr old. He now lives in Chicago area, and I in Twin Cities, Minn. We have ridden to Calif many times, 3 times in the last 15 years, putting on over 6,000 miles in 2 weeks. We've been to the Tail of the Dragon countless times, since 1989, before it was so popular. We rode there a few times, but usually trailer our bikes there so we can just soak up all curves. We've been up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Calif Pacific Coast Hwy (PCH 1) many times, and so much more. My dad just turned 86 yr young and we are too well aware that his riding days are numbered. Time and life sure do go by fast, like a 200 hp bike into the sunset. It'll be a sad day when pops has to hang up his leathers.

Back to the ZX14, it's a wonderful motorcycle, as I said before. Just remember to R E S P E C T it's power. It is very docile, if you take it easy, AND can get you in trouble faster than you can think trouble!!

Ride fast but safe,
ominousone

·
Administrator
58,434 Posts
Sounds like you might have a one of a kind bike where you ride.
When I got my first 14 in 2008 there were only 2 in my whole town.
Not a very big town but the 14 was still new when first coming out in 2006.
It's become more popular as years go on but I'm surprised there are still leftovers and rebates.
14 and 14R is still a lot of bang for the buck.
And like ominousone said, respect it.
I went out the other day after not riding for some time and it still scares the bajeebers out of me lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am from the capital city of Macedonia or you may find it on the internet by the new name North Macedonia. Summer 2018, I was in Santa Cruz, California. There was this work and travel student program and I was working at the Boardwalk. My plan was to rent a motorcycle and explore the states, however because I was 21 at that time I could not do it, all the companies asked for the rider to be at least 24 I think. So I barley found a this local car rental place where I can rent a car, because car rentals were asking for a credit card and I only had debit. Had a lot of fun that summer, met a lot of people and hopefully one day I will go visit again.

Back to the ZX14, the only problem that we need to solve now is where we are going to keep it, our garage is kind of small. We will definitely not rush this decision anyway, however thanks for your advises.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I'm not going to say you should or you shouldn't; but I am going to say that if people don't keep buying these bikes, Kawi isn't going to keep making them. So.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, my name is Deni and I am new to this forum. I need to make a big decision and I need your help. I will write a lot of text but please bear with me.

I am planning to buy a motorcycle which will be ridden by me (23 years old) and my father (50). Right now we have a Beverly 350 scooter, however previously we also had a Z750 which we sold because of financial reasons. In 2007 we bought the Z750 brand new. It was chosen because both of us liked the upright sitting position compared the sitting position on supersport bikes that we do not like since we are both 6`1. I have ridden couple of supersports from friends and both were giving me forearm and wrist pain. In short we are looking for a powerful motorcycle with solid comfort.

That's how i started looking for adventure bikes, upright sitting position and plus pillion comfort, which was not that great on the Z750. I looked at Versys however I am not paying that much money for a liter bike with 118 horse power. My top favorite was the BMW S1000XR which has an update for 2020.

However one of the Kawa dealers gave me a very good price for the ZX14 2020, like 2k less than the BMW will start when it arrives. I had a chance to sit on it and both me and my father feel like is really comfortable bike, much more comfortable then supersports.

Finally coming to my question. I know that probobly the ZX14 cannot match the adventure bike comfort, however will it be that bad that I will be sorry for getting this awesome bike which my father also seems to like. Worth mentioning is that I don't have a car so this bike will be my everyday ride for commuting through the city, which kind of scares me since it is a really big bike and I would also go on longer weekend trips.

Sorry for the long post, however I am in a big dilemma and I need your help.

Thanks

Deni,

Don't hesitate. I just bought a ZX14R 2020 (traded it for ZX14 2008 with 100,000 km). The bike is the epitome - the culmination of engineering - a hyper-sport tourer. Torque is everywhere and linear. Very smooth and great to ride. Seat very comfortable. The centre of gravity of the second-generation ZX (from 2012 onward) is lower and the wheelbase is slightly longer than first-generation ZX, so the ride is better and more stable. The weight, by comparison to the new 1000 bikes is an advantage. Depending on your height, consider helibar-riser and aftermarket foot-pegs and exhausts.

best from Australia.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone that replied and helped me with my decision. After a lot of thinking, today I pulled the trigger and paid for one. The dealership made the order today and they told me they are expecting it to get here in 2-4 weeks. I will post some pictures when I bring her home.

All the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent decision,
Bob.

Aftermarket exhausts?
I installed M4 retro drag (dual).

Best,
R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent decision,
Bob.

Aftermarket exhausts?
I installed M4 retro drag (dual).

Best,
R
Ahhh still not thinking about it, exhaust systems are expensive, so I will need some time to lets say stabilize my budget. I think first thing that I am getting is OEM top case and SW Motech side bags for touring, when going on longer trips. And I need a top case since this machine is going to be my every day car :p

Still waiting, hopefully it gets here this weekend.

Best regards

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ahhh still not thinking about it, exhaust systems are expensive, so I will need some time to lets say stabilize my budget. I think first thing that I am getting is OEM top case and SW Motech side bags for touring, when going on longer trips. And I need a top case since this machine is going to be my every day car :p

Still waiting, hopefully it gets here this weekend.

Best regards
You won’t regret it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It arrived at the dealership today. Since the dealership is in another city, I will go to pick it up on Friday (if the weather is okay). Here are the pictures that the dealer sent me today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts