Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m back at it and gathering some parts and planning for a future build. I’m going to be building a ZX9 race motor to swap into my 7. I’m going to be boring to 950 and upgrading the valve springs as well as a few other goodies internally and would like to spin it to the 7s redline. My question being, would it be okay to shotpeen and polish my stock ZX9 rods or drop the ~$1700 upgrading to custom Carrillo rods? I’m also curious about the clearance between I and H beam rods with the cylinder walls or if I’d have to notch them for clearance. I don’t think the crankcase to rod clearance will be an issue but does anyone have any data, thoughts, opinions or experience? Thanks, Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,736 Posts
The rods are pretty much the same as ZX7R. Find a kit manual and stress relieve the beams per the kit manual. Most aftermarket stuff is heavy.

Make sure you WAY over fill the oil. The pump is too good and will drain the pan faster than the engine can return it. One engine builder for one of the race teams said to fill it until it smokes at startup, which is higher than the top of the sight glass.

If you do 950, make sure to get a Zlock kit or go down .5mm. It's really hard to get the head to deal with pistons that big.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I messaged Zlock racing with no reply yet, hopefully he’s still doing work. I’ve already got wiseco pistons so hopefully that’s all still doable. Adding a thicker base cylinder gasket make much of a difference?

·
6,736 Posts
I messaged Zlock racing with no reply yet, hopefully he’s still doing work. I’ve already got wiseco pistons so hopefully that’s all still doable. Adding a thicker base cylinder gasket make much of a difference?

He won't work with Wiseco pistons. Too many issues with them. It's not a height issue, the cylinders get quite close together. Thicker base gasket won't change anything except lower your compression.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well crap. I thought you meant interference with the head. I’ll have to see what I can swing then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Shot peening your existing rods is all you need unless you are planning to drag race the bike. You don't need the $1700.00 rods for a street engine. Unless you just really want to throw that much money in a hole.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shot peening your existing rods is all you need unless you are planning to drag race the bike. You don't need the $1700.00 rods for a street engine. Unless you just really want to throw that much money in a hole.
More of a short circuit style track bike. Lots of high to mid rpm shifting so I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t tremendously undo stress on the rods from the fluctuation as well as the higher rpms.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Hello all, I’m back at it and gathering some parts and planning for a future build. I’m going to be building a ZX9 race motor to swap into my 7. I’m going to be boring to 950 and upgrading the valve springs as well as a few other goodies internally and would like to spin it to the 7s redline. My question being, would it be okay to shotpeen and polish my stock ZX9 rods or drop the ~$1700 upgrading to custom Carrillo rods? I’m also curious about the clearance between I and H beam rods with the cylinder walls or if I’d have to notch them for clearance. I don’t think the crankcase to rod clearance will be an issue but does anyone have any data, thoughts, opinions or experience? Thanks, Nick.

Rebalancing the crankshaft and upgrading the valve train would be the next step to get you closer to the zx7 redline. Would you be running the 7's cdi as well?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebalancing the crankshaft and upgrading the valve train would be the next step to get you closer to the zx7 redline. Would you be running the 7's cdi as well?
That’s the plan. Having the crank lightened and balanced is on the list as well as new reproduction kit style springs and keepers. Not sure about using the Wiseco pistons I have now. Scott’s got me a little on the fence. But we shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts