Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok if anyone has noticed i have posted about a million questions about my 1993 zx600d, it's because i got it real cheap and i am paying for it now:banghead
Well the newest thing is this:
I have replaced the charging system (stator and regulator) and the charging system works fine, but it seems that once i plug in the headlight it doesn't.
Is this a short in the headlight, if so any tricks on finding the short, or what to do? i have the clymer repair manual. I'll check out the wiring diagram.
here are the results of my voltmeter check on DC:
without it plugged in
2kish RPM (12.2), 5kish RPM (12.9)
with it plugged in
2kish RPM (11.2), 5kish RPM (11.4)
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
53 Posts
trace the wires back as far as you can and check for continuity across the wires, on something with 2 wires that are say black and red check one ond of the red and the other end of the black, you will have continuity if there is a short, yo can check across all the headlight wires and see whats going on

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pain in the butt; but check all connectors in the wiring loom for grunge by pulling apart. Check the fuse box for internal oxidisation behind the connectors. Have a look inside the headlight switch itself. I did this progressively with an old GPX250 and the lights were brighter after. Grunge can cause voltage drops across the plug in connectors. Check also that there are no suspicious rub marks on the looms under the tank.

gammac

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To give you an idea what it might be is that the guy before me had neons hooked up, and i believe they burned out the charging system and probably the reason for this as well.
I found an entire wiring system for this bike for 20 bucks on ebay. You think it would be better just to do that? Or would that be getting myself into a whole different beast?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE! Ok i fixed http://www.zxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif
:rofl
I took the tank off and started cleaning up all the connections.
I found that my ground was very loose, tightened it up and it's good now
I also taped up the pigtail because it was a little loose.
But now, with teh headlight in, i am getting like 1400 volts at higher RPM's. A lot better than what it was.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
444 Posts
UPDATE! Ok i fixed http://www.zxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif
:rofl
I took the tank off and started cleaning up all the connections.
I found that my ground was very loose, tightened it up and it's good now
I also taped up the pigtail because it was a little loose.
But now, with teh headlight in, i am getting like 1400 volts at higher RPM's. A lot better than what it was.
Thanks guys
Solid grounds are the key to a strong electrical system. Glad you found your problem. :clap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts