Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
13,442 Posts
Swap meets take place during the AHRMA races in early October. AMA, or Moto America races as well as ASRA races and WERA races have no swap meets.

· Registered
1 Posts
why is it so hard to find good shops to put bikes back together. I have a 95 ZX7/9R sitting in storage and I have called a few motorcycle shops and no one wants to work on older bikes.. madness.. why? is there no money in it or are they just not doing it because parts and things are hard to find..
Older bikes are a lot harder to get parts for. The mark up isn’t high enough for parts that are aftermarket. Most mechanics now in dealerships have never even seen a jet kit lol. There is always a local group of guys at coffee shops or bike nights that can help you find a mechanic that enjoys working on older bike…

· Registered
9 Posts
you are right, old bikes are a money pits. buy the time i dump the money to get this thing running good i could a bought a fairly decent EFI bike from the pas 10 years. however, the newer bikes lack the character and style of the old school stuff. TBH I sold my 99 katana a few years back and i sold a 09 FZ6R, I wasn't looking for another bike until this as offered to me. i guess you can say the urge for being on two wheels never goes away. So I couldn't let this go. I had to have it..

Good lord.. back when i had a 99 katana 600 just the carbs alone was a pain in the ass to deal with. This bike here is a different animal, way different. Having a place to work on this thing is the biggest issue. I don't have a garage or the tools to work on this. so i figured sending it out would be the best option
Bikes like yours are great,frustrating and rewarding to get back on the road but by no means a job you pay a business to do. I'm currently restoring a RD400 and spend more time searching parts down as I do actually wrenching!

· Registered
11 Posts
For you guys struggling with carbs, remove the rubber vacuum slides at the top of each carb, pull the bowls off, then soak in some carb cleaning solution in a sonic cleaner big enough so you don't have to fully disassemble each carb separately. You can even leave the jets in place, some fuel injection cleaner should work well. For fuel tanks, fill with E85 and let sit, then drain and repeat.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
For you guys struggling with carbs, remove the rubber vacuum slides at the top of each carb, pull the bowls off, then soak in some carb cleaning solution in a sonic cleaner big enough so you don't have to fully disassemble each carb separately. You can even leave the jets in place, some fuel injection cleaner should work well. For fuel tanks, fill with E85 and let sit, then drain and repeat.
I will surely use that bit of info..

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I am putting a list together of the things I need. Fresh fluids, new plugs, battery, chain and sprocket kit, pads rotors, wheel bearing, and fork seals. I think that would be everything for now just to get it up and running.

· Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
123 Posts
I am putting a list together of the things I need. Fresh fluids, new plugs, battery, chain and sprocket kit, pads rotors, wheel bearing, and fork seals. I think that would be everything for now just to get it up and running.
Sounds like a plan, I did exactly those items to get my 92 ZX-7 on the road. I'd recommend getting it running first to ensure the engine+electrical is good, unless you're already sure it is. You don't want to end up with a bunch of parts for a non-runner.

Some pics from when I was doing this stuff:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sounds like a plan, I did exactly those items to get my 92 ZX-7 on the road. I'd recommend getting it running first to ensure the engine+electrical is good, unless you're already sure it is. You don't want to end up with a bunch of parts for a non-runner.

Some pics from when I was doing this stuff:
View attachment 23382 View attachment 23384 View attachment 23385
You sir, are very right. I was told it was good but. I have to make sure myself lol. just like in the Toyota supra community, folks have 10s of thousands of dollars in parts but the car is sitting on jack stands and don't run. I cant be that guy. so have made my little parts list, will order everything soon. Then will try to do things bit by bit than I can do..

41 - 51 of 51 Posts