Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it so hard to find good shops to put bikes back together. I have a 95 ZX7/9R sitting in storage and I have called a few motorcycle shops and no one wants to work on older bikes.. madness.. why? is there no money in it or are they just not doing it because parts and things are hard to find..

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,169 Posts
why is it so hard to find good shops to put bikes back together. I have a 95 ZX7/9R sitting in storage and I have called a few motorcycle shops and no one wants to work on older bikes.. madness.. why? is there no money in it or are they just not doing it because parts and things are hard to find..
Both? I'm lucky enough to have found 2 guys willing to work on my 93 when it's beyond my capabilities. Im in North Central FL

· Registered
492 Posts
Not many technician's left with the skills to diagnose carb/electrical issues. Easier to just plug in a laptop and have the bike tell you. Plus like you said, limited parts available.
I have had shops work on an engine with fueling/ignition issues, and had it return to me running just as bad as my original crap tune. At least they tried? :unsure:

· Registered
‘83 Gpz750 Resto-mod, ‘78 Kz1000 Resto-mod, ‘18 Z900RS
162 Posts
Don’t forget a third reason: the snowball effect. One thing is fixed but another two are found, which turns into three more etc until labor, and parts sonewhat, are not far off from the value of the bike.

A $1500 engine rebuild doesn’t make much sense to some on a $2500 bike. (Just throwing out numbers.)

Later, Doug

· Administrator
57,851 Posts
I'm an old school guy, shut it 57, and had to join a vintage yamaha forum to work on my 43 year old DT175 with a 6 volt system .
Then one thing after the other and more research and trying to find parts.
Nobody wants to spend the time and effort
If it's not plug n play then they don't want it

· Registered
5,169 Posts

· Registered
5,169 Posts
Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but there are some pretty smart guys here that can help you out
His bike is a bit of a project. Basically, he picked up someone else's 9r conversion. It's pretty straight forward as far as the swap goes. But, I don't think he got everything he needed to make it work. Specifically the ram air plumbing. There's going to be a good amount of time spent hunting for parts to make his bike road-worthy.

Reactions: 185EZ

7,245 Posts
What ever do you mean EZ?

What year is the 7? If it's 96+ contact BRG to get the parts you need. They are the only game in town, sadly .... Just make sure what you need. They have no clue how the application if it works, what year needs what, etc.

· Registered
5,169 Posts
What ever do you mean EZ?

What year is the 7? If it's 96+ contact BRG to get the parts you need. They are the only game in town, sadly .... Just make sure what you need. They have no clue how the application if it works, what year needs what, etc.
95 zx7 with the b model zx9r engine stuffed in it

7,245 Posts
You need nothing. Take the 7 engine out, put the 9 engine in. Install the rear two engine bolts and torque them. Remove the nuts from the back side of the cylinder head where the bolt goes through. With the frame insert snug against the engine on both sides, drill through the insert with a 1/2" drill bit, both sides. Put the nuts back in the head and insert the bolts and torque them.

There, now the engine is in. Use the 7 harness with the 9 CDI.

Swap the carb caps from the 7 to the 9. The 9 caps are restricted.

You may need to put in some 10mm spacers between the frame and the radiator for header clearance. Use a 9 header or most aftermarket headers are a tight fit to the oil pan. It's good enough on most. Be careful of clearance in the rear for the rear caliper arm

The 7 air cleaner is a major pain in the ass, but it will fit.

Go ride.

· Premium Member
2010 ZX-14
386 Posts
I'm an old school guy, shut it 57, and had to join a vintage yamaha forum to work on my 43 year old DT175 with a 6 volt system .
Then one thing after the other and more research and trying to find parts.
Nobody wants to spend the time and effort
If it's not plug n play then they don't want it
My first bike ever was a 1974 Yamaha DT-175. And the reason why I became involved doing my own repairs was because the Yamaha dealership in my hometown overcharged me for replacing the piston and rings.

In my opinion, motorcycle technicians nowadays are not familiar or interested in working with older bikes. Now bikes get plugged into a computer to diagnose problems, like Slorg442 said.

''''''''

· Registered
13,397 Posts
My 10R hasn't been started in over 4 years. It needed nothing last time I shut it off, but I'm dreading what it'll take to get it cleaned out and running again whenever I get around to it. Which is a can I keep kicking down the road, because the wife's CBR runs like a champ and it's sitting right there too. Regardless, I don't think my local shop will be happy to see the 10R, but who knows? At least it's new enough to be injected...

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You need nothing. Take the 7 engine out, put the 9 engine in. Install the rear two engine bolts and torque them. Remove the nuts from the back side of the cylinder head where the bolt goes through. With the frame insert snug against the engine on both sides, drill through the insert with a 1/2" drill bit, both sides. Put the nuts back in the head and insert the bolts and torque them.

There, now the engine is in. Use the 7 harness with the 9 CDI.

Swap the carb caps from the 7 to the 9. The 9 caps are restricted.

You may need to put in some 10mm spacers between the frame and the radiator for header clearance. Use a 9 header or most aftermarket headers are a tight fit to the oil pan. It's good enough on most. Be careful of clearance in the rear for the rear caliper arm

The 7 air cleaner is a major pain in the ass, but it will fit.

Go ride.
to be honest the engine is already in the frame. i just need to get the carbs cleaned and hook up all the wiring. i have a ton of pictures of how it currently sits.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts