Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before i go on, i just wanna appologize for making so many posts in a short time, but knowing that i am not the only one with this issue, i thought maybe i should start a new post to get more feedbacks and help.

a member and i are having trouble loosening up the bolts for the frame to add the sliders. we have gotten the spools and bar ends on, but are having a hard time with the bolt on the frame.

any help on getting these off would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Jack.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just ordered the kit so I haven't done anything to the bike but I know from working with other bikes that it's all about leverage. Get a torque wrench or something with a long bar to loosen the bolt. I usually have someone else hold a wrench on the nut so it doesn't move while I'm trying to break it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Maybe add a little heat of some type. I thought you weren't supposed to use your torque wrench for breaking/loosening stuff????????????

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK torque wrench is a BAD idea...they are not supposed to loosen things. period. they are for specific leverage find a Breaker bar or stick a pipe over your ratchet and use that for leverage.

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those frame bolts are pretty tight. Use a breaker bar to loosen, not a torque wrench. If you don't have one, use a pipe on the end of your ratchet for more torque to loosen them and don't strip them out. Only take one out at a time and put the slider & new bolt in. Don't take both bolts out at the same time. Don't want to drop your engine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm trying to install some shogun frame sliders for my brother, does anyone know what torque setting the bolts for the sliders are? Ooops forgot to add that its a 2007 zx6r.

Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm trying to install some shogun frame sliders for my brother, does anyone know what torque setting the bolts for the sliders are? Ooops forgot to add that its a 2007 zx6r.

Thanks.
33 ft-lbs, service manual pg 2-8.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I need help I stripped the allen bolt on the right side of the bike trying to loosen it up. :banghead So now I don't know what to do. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated? I'm so pissed at myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I need help I stripped the allen bolt on the right side of the bike trying to loosen it up. :banghead So now I don't know what to do. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated? I'm so pissed at myself.
If there is enough bolt sticking out, try a pipe wrench. You might get enough on it to break it free. There are some bolt extractors on the market as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
before i go on, i just wanna appologize for making so many posts in a short time, but knowing that i am not the only one with this issue, i thought maybe i should start a new post to get more feedbacks and help.

a member and i are having trouble loosening up the bolts for the frame to add the sliders. we have gotten the spools and bar ends on, but are having a hard time with the bolt on the frame.

any help on getting these off would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Jack.
Heres my humble opinion...if you don't have one, get an 3/8" impact driver. It looks like a beefed up screw driver it has a ratcheting mechanisim inside that is activated when you hit the end with a hammer (they are available pretty much anywhere). Get all the tools you need ready. Take your bike out for a spin to get the engine nice and hot. Put the bike on a rear stand and pop both fairings off, use the impact driver to loosen both engine mounting bolts right away, but only remove one at a time. GL

·
Registered
94 Posts
have you guys ever seen a frame slider on the right that looks like its been cut straight on part of it so they dont have to cut the fairing

·
Registered
234 Posts
TripleS!xX, what is the nut with the four grooves behind the allen bolt? It looks like it's threaded with the allen.
Castle nut, holds the engine in place, DO NOT TOUCH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally went to Home Depot and got myself some irwin bolt-outs and it worked like a charm. Its crazy how easy it was to remove it with the bolt-outs, it only took like 30secs to take the bolt out.:clap So I'm glad now.

Thanks for everyones help.:rofl

·
Registered
234 Posts
Finally went to Home Depot and got myself some irwin bolt-outs and it worked like a charm. Its crazy how easy it was to remove it with the bolt-outs, it only took like 30secs to take the bolt out.:clap So I'm glad now.

Thanks for everyones help.:rofl
I used the same ones after I couldn't find the recommended Craftsman bolt-outs here locally. Worked like a charm. And who doesn't need more tools right!! :mfclap

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used the same ones after I couldn't find the recommended Craftsman bolt-outs here locally. Worked like a charm. And who doesn't need more tools right!! :mfclap
i was lucky and a guy at work had a whole set. Not that I didnt want more tools but I spent about $100 a few days earlier. I got a craftsmen torque wrench hex bit set and the 17mm socket and extender bar to put on my frame sliders. I didnt want to spend another $30 just for this one project. BTW the craftman torque wrench was on sale for $59.99, what a friggin good deal that was

1 - 20 of 20 Posts