Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day, anyone know who might be able to supply a bump rubber for the rear shock on an '89 ZXR 750 H1? You can't buy it from KHI as shock is "non rebuildable" ,no parts available on fiche. I've, tried a few suspension suppliers over in OZ but no good. I've tried matching other models and aftermarket ones,Allballs etc with dimensions but also no luck. The original one perished and feel apart (there were a few bits left on shock!)but rough dimensions are ; 14mm shaft hole, 38mm dia. & approx. 30-40mm high ? Recess for shaft nut is approx 26-27mm x 12-15mm deep. Any info be appreciated. Thankyou all

· Registered
492 Posts
If you can't find a used one in good shape, or new old stock, you can use a similar bump stop with the same shaft diameter. Try to find one that has similar elasticity and trim the base to fit the seat. A dremel works well for that. Not ideal, but will work until you find another.

· Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
171 Posts
K-tech, Race Tech, Ohlins (long shot), a lot of the suspension builders have replacement parts. Most street bike suspension is not supposed to b rebuilt, according to the manufacturer. Also, if u r hitting the bump then u need to do something about ur settings/spring rate. U dont technically need it. Other than restoration purposes...

· Registered
1 x ZX7 H1, 1 x 1993 ZX7R along with other models. more.
26 Posts
I’m currently restoring an H1. The shock is definitely rebuildable. Found all the parts needed from different bikes then discovered Bunbury Motor Cycle Engineering. I believe he gets his parts from Shock Treatment, all Racetech gear, somewhere on the east coast. Instead of doing the work myself I gave it to BMCE. The rod had to be rechromed all seals replaced and I asked to have the valving changed, so it was more like a shock absorber, along with a new spring to suit my 70kg weight. Haven’t got it back yet but total quote was less than buying an Ohlins. Sure they’re happy to do yours if you want them to.
Now the rubber stopper. Mines shot too but for about $70 I can buy some polyurethane, machine it up and hey presto it’s perfect. No it’s not rubber and it’s highly likely the original wasn’t either. For the cost of the material I’m happy to make you one. Just let me know.
Oh, for your interest. You’ll also read, or be told, the water pump is not rebuildable. I’m telling you it is completely rebuildable. I’ve rebuilt 2 at a cost of approx $40 each. You will read, in the same article, in order to remove the impeller you need to cut it through 1 side. Then of coarse you will need to weld it up again. On both pumps, I rebuilt, I silver soldered a 6mm nut to the centre of the impeller then screwed a 6mm bolt through it and jacked the impeller off the shaft. Now if you do this the heat will destroy your bearings and seal. No big deal they are likely shot anyway otherwise you wouldn’t need to rebuild it. Again, if you need your water pump repaired I’m happy to do it for the price of the parts and postage to you. The same article will say you can buy the mechanical seal from a later model Kawasaki, but be warned, for about $50 you will only get the stationary half. Mechanical seals are made up of 2 seperate parts. A stationary half and a rotary half. You will need to buy the impeller, from possibly another model, for an unknown price to get the other half. Kawasaki will tell you, for $50, you get the whole seal. You don’t. I have sourced complete seals for under $10.
If you’re interested respond to this and we’ll see what we can do to work out a way of contacting each other. Honestly, while I’m happy to help there’s only so much I’ve got time to do so don’t really want to publish my contact details. Happy to pass the info onto others though so they can do it themselves.
Nice to hear another H1 is being woken up.
Sorry it ended up a novel but it’s difficult when you don’t know the capabilities of the person on the other end of the conversation.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m currently restoring an H1. The shock is definitely rebuildable. Found all the parts needed from different bikes then discovered Bunbury Motor Cycle Engineering. I believe he gets his parts from Shock Treatment, all Racetech gear, somewhere on the east coast. Instead of doing the work myself I gave it to BMCE. The rod had to be rechromed all seals replaced and I asked to have the valving changed, so it was more like a shock absorber, along with a new spring to suit my 70kg weight. Haven’t got it back yet but total quote was less than buying an Ohlins. Sure they’re happy to do yours if you want them to.
Now the rubber stopper. Mines shot too but for about $70 I can buy some polyurethane, machine it up and hey presto it’s perfect. No it’s not rubber and it’s highly likely the original wasn’t either. For the cost of the material I’m happy to make you one. Just let me know.
Oh, for your interest. You’ll also read, or be told, the water pump is not rebuildable. I’m telling you it is completely rebuildable. I’ve rebuilt 2 at a cost of approx $40 each. You will read, in the same article, in order to remove the impeller you need to cut it through 1 side. Then of coarse you will need to weld it up again. On both pumps, I rebuilt, I silver soldered a 6mm nut to the centre of the impeller then screwed a 6mm bolt through it and jacked the impeller off the shaft. Now if you do this the heat will destroy your bearings and seal. No big deal they are likely shot anyway otherwise you wouldn’t need to rebuild it. Again, if you need your water pump repaired I’m happy to do it for the price of the parts and postage to you. The same article will say you can buy the mechanical seal from a later model Kawasaki, but be warned, for about $50 you will only get the stationary half. Mechanical seals are made up of 2 seperate parts. A stationary half and a rotary half. You will need to buy the impeller, from possibly another model, for an unknown price to get the other half. Kawasaki will tell you, for $50, you get the whole seal. You don’t. I have sourced complete seals for under $10.
If you’re interested respond to this and we’ll see what we can do to work out a way of contacting each other. Honestly, while I’m happy to help there’s only so much I’ve got time to do so don’t really want to publish my contact details. Happy to pass the info onto others though so they can do it themselves.
Nice to hear another H1 is being woken up.
Sorry it ended up a novel but it’s difficult when you don’t know the capabilities of the person on the other end of the conversation.
G'day, I don't mind a novel! Yeah I've rebuilt this shock before and revalved it too. I work on shocks almost weekly being a bike mechanic for 20+ years. I found one from Teknik which will need a slight trim. I deal with a lot of shops n suppliers such as ktech & shock treatment but no one had anything that was suitable.I even thought about casting one from that pourable polyurethane stuff. I'll let you know how much it takes to make the teknik one fit. I have done a couple of those waterpump rebuilds a long time ago on Kawis and some other brands that were "non rebuildable " too but it would be good to know the where to source the seals from. I have one pretty good bearing joint I deal with plus all my other contacts through work. I finally got my arse into gear and started doing my H1 again, other projects got in the way. It's not going to he showroom condition but rideable. Thankyou for your response and info. Definitely sort out a way to get in touch

· Registered
1 x ZX7 H1, 1 x 1993 ZX7R along with other models. more.
26 Posts
Good to know your background. Don’t have to write so descriptive.
I got the seals from AliExpress. Yeh I know Chinese. Frankly it doesn’t bother me coz just about everything is made there, as you will know. The seller is Comebuybest Store. One thing I’ve just remembered. You probably know pumps from several models will fit the ZX7 H1 and H2. During my pump rebuilding I discovered not all use the same size seals and the bearing outer diameter can also vary but shaft diam and lengths are all the same along with the impellers. I fitted a sleeve to one pump so the seal would fit and had to increase the bore in another so I could fit standard sealed bearings.
The seal in the picture fitted my H1 pump with no modification. The H2 seal had a larger OD, hence the sleeve, and the GPX was different but can’t remember what the difference was. Not home now to check. I work away from home and won’t be home for another week so? next time.
I’ve been machining new shafts from 316 s/s and fitting standard sealed bearings. Have found plenty of places where I can buy the same bearing as was originally fitted but all suppliers I found want me to buy 50 plus.
I know early Datsun 1200’s used the same bearing but again too dear to buy them. Think it’s around $70 to buy a water pump kit with the bearing but don’t really want to buy a kit to throw most of it away.

Cheers. Would like to make contact somehow.
Oh, think pouring your own poly is quite expensive but never really looked into it. Just what I’ve been told.
Product Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Font

1 - 8 of 8 Posts