Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was coming up a hill in 6th doing about 65 when just over the hill i see a cop and accidentally shift from 6th to 5th without using the clutch. it seemed to shift smoothly because of the decelleration of the hill. so can i ask you all if this is too bad of a f#$% up. it seems to be ok, nut i know clutchless downshifting will ruin your transmission

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Its possible to shift up and down without using the clutch, and not destroy the bike either.

My logic is that a clutch is cheaper and easier to replace than a transmission.

You are fine I am sure.

·
Registered
782 Posts
never tried shifting down without the clutch but if im driving spiritly, i do shift up without it. If it shifted smoothly i cant see it causing issues

·
11,782 Posts
You're fine. I've done it a few times before...mostly on the dirt but a few times on the street and, as long as it was smooth, you've got nothing to worry about. I just wouldn't make a habit out of it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
wet clutch can tolerate several of those.
the clutch has nothing to do with it...its the transmission you can botch if you screw up a clutchless downshift.

as long as it was smooth, no grinding and no noises, youll be fine. ive done it more than once, usually when i let off the gas and hit the shifter before pulling the clutch :scared when you take the load off the transmission, you can up and downshift easily without the clutch. thats basically what the clutch does...takes the load off so you can shift without damage. shifting without the clutch requires expert timing. not so much on upshifts, all you have to do is let off the throttle a little and youre good. but downshifting...i dont like to risk it. watch the Twist of the Wrist 2 dvd, they show clutchless downshifting in action.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Only time I use my clutch is for starting and going to neutral. Otherwise I don't bother with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quickshifter?

I got my new zx6r '06 a few months back (haven't been riding it yet since snowy and frozy here :( ) and I thought, is it possible to downshift with Dynojet Quickshifter ? The last owner had this quickshifter installed and it's the pull type one, so when I press my lever down, it's disconnecting ignition or whatever it does. Is quickshifter meant to work for downshifting or should I change the gear lever to the "race" one, up goes down the gears and down goes up the gears.

-maz

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my new zx6r '06 a few months back (haven't been riding it yet since snowy and frozy here :( ) and I thought, is it possible to downshift with Dynojet Quickshifter ? The last owner had this quickshifter installed and it's the pull type one, so when I press my lever down, it's disconnecting ignition or whatever it does. Is quickshifter meant to work for downshifting or should I change the gear lever to the "race" one, up goes down the gears and down goes up the gears.

-maz
Anyone got anything to say to this ? I wouldn't like to f' up my tranny just because of this quickshifter thing.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
You can shift with out the clutch. They can teach you how to properly do so at CSS California Superbike School. It's pretty fun and Just plain cool to use the GoPro to "show off" hehe I think the concept is kinda like in a car when you shift manual into gear with no clutch pedal. Won't really " hurt" anything always with prop technique. I don't know how to explain it like they do thou

·
Registered
320 Posts
As far as the quick shifter. I think but not sure those only work at full throttle. So u must be at full throttle in order for the system to operate. They are designed to shift with out the clutch and without a throttle roll off I think lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Or since the majority of us are usually on the street, not racing, we could just use the clutch, and avoid the misfortune of destroying the transmission...just an option.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Or since the majority of us are usually on the street, not racing, we could just use the clutch, and avoid the misfortune of destroying the transmission...just an option.
if you use proper timing (not preloading the shifter) you wont do any harm to your transmission. however i usually always use the clutch, especially on downshifts just because downshifting without the clutch is very difficult to time correctly, and its easy to destroy your transmission if you mess it up. upshifting though, theres not much to worry about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts