Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how I can get my bike to be lighter. '07 ZX-6R weighs 368lbs dry. I'm guessing our biggest problem is our exhaust.

According to LeoVince:
The stock exhaust is 12.9kg
Their full exhaust (SS header): 7.2kg
Their full Ti (named Corsa): 4.6kg

Unfortunately, they say that Corsa is intended for racing only, and that it doesn't have any silencer, or anything to keep the fender.

Akropovic also has a full Ti exhaust as far as I know, but I do not know its weight. Does anyone else know?

- What did you guys do to shave weight off your bike?
- Is there any manufacturer producing much shorter side-exhaust?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2 Bros slip on exhaust shaved 4.9kg off the bike, and doing the cat-delete shaved off some more... Dont know how much, but that stock cat is pretty darn heavy.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Chop off the passenger section of the seat, fit a cut down exhaust. Replace all of the bolts in the engine with titanium from tasty nuts. Replace your fairings with carbon fiber (and your tank). Titanium clip ons, CF or magnesium rims. CF airbox... magnesium engine covers, CF kickplates, and I'm sure you could get a lighter swing arm custom built.

Then if you're going to sink all that money into it get the race ECU, fit high lift, long duration cams, and a custom dyno tune. Hell... if you want to go that far, spend 6 grand and get someone to custom build you a turbo for the bike! Then you'll really go, and it doesn't matter how much you weigh.

If you want to go really fast you gotta spend a lot.

I'll never forget how excited one of our racers was to get one of the race ECU's for his Daytona 675. "YES, another 2 grand and another 2 hp." That's the problem with a naturally aspirated engine. If you wanna go faster you gotta spend the cash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The things you listed are not really practical for most of us, though. I would never change the swing arm, or bother changing the bolts. Neither would I touch the fairing. Like most others, I am after cost-effective solutions, not after every tiny bit of weight saving to pass tha guy in the race :)

The slip-on itself saves substantial amount of weight, but getting rid of the cat would honetly be nice, too. I wish there were manufacturers making short side exhaust for these bikes instead of having that very long exhaust piping at the tail : (

Chop off the passenger section of the seat, fit a cut down exhaust. Replace all of the bolts in the engine with titanium from tasty nuts. Replace your fairings with carbon fiber (and your tank). Titanium clip ons, CF or magnesium rims. CF airbox... magnesium engine covers, CF kickplates, and I'm sure you could get a lighter swing arm custom built.

Then if you're going to sink all that money into it get the race ECU, fit high lift, long duration cams, and a custom dyno tune. Hell... if you want to go that far, spend 6 grand and get someone to custom build you a turbo for the bike! Then you'll really go, and it doesn't matter how much you weigh.

If you want to go really fast you gotta spend a lot.

I'll never forget how excited one of our racers was to get one of the race ECU's for his Daytona 675. "YES, another 2 grand and another 2 hp." That's the problem with a naturally aspirated engine. If you wanna go faster you gotta spend the cash.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can get an aluminum bolt kit and drop possibly 2 lbs for under $100. Som CF kickplates and fairing shrouds will drop a little more weight as well, and will likely be rather cheap.

Woodcraft is making engine cases for our bike, I'm not sure what the weight difference is, but a set shipped to my door is $440 Canadian. They also sell much lighter clip ons for under $150 a set. And the clip ons are two piece, so you can just buy the handle part if you drop it.

You asked about weight savings ;) Personally... I'd get the Marchesini rims. *Drool*

That and I would keep the extra weight of the undertail exhaust in exchange for the added turbulence and offset weight of on of those short side exhausts. They look awful imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BTW, do those repack kits (for the slip-on exhausts) have anyting to do with heat insulation, or are they just for silencing? In the manual of Two Bros exhaust, it warns people not to dyno the bike, since these packs would overheat and burn out prematurely, and could damage the tail of the bike. I am new to bikes, so I don't know much about these exhaust types, but if we will need to repack those things all the time, it is awful!

It looks like the first stage to reduce weight for me would be:
- slip on
- rear sit pegs delete
- aluminum bolt set (are they strong enough?)

If you don't buy full Ti exhaust, it doesn't make much sense to change the whole exhaust.

The part number for that bottom canister is different for CA and other states. Perhaps my canister doesn't even have a cat (I hope).

·
Registered
526 Posts
go to the gym....
and
magnesium rims....

·
Registered
532 Posts
I weigh 108kg and my ZX6R is stock except for the rear footrests and mudguard/plate bracket, which I removed, and I am quite happy with the handling and performance on the track during trackdays compared to much lighter guys on more modified ZX6's, and I don't think the bit of weight saving will make much difference!!

Rather go for a gearing change (sprockets) (-1,+2)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts