Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new rider and new forum member here. I own a 2000, 250 that I bought as my learner's bike last year after taking the MSF course. I was really enjoying it, but its not working again for the second time. The first time I took it to the dealership and had it serviced. The cost was almost as much the value of the bike itself. This time I would like to find a service manual to see if I can repair it myself. I tried Clymer, but they don't have one available for my model. So I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. I don't feel comfortable, moving up yet, since I have not been able to take her out any extended amount of time due to weather, break down issues. Thanks for any help you can give me guys.
cyclepilot

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Shortcircuit. I'll check those both out. The dealership gave me a price 5 times that for Kawasaki manual.

·
Registered
990 Posts
:welcome to the forum Cyclepilot
What is the problem with the bike?
We may be able to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys. When I originally bought the bike it would have a little trouble starting, required full choke and even after starting and warming up for awhile the bike would still turn off whenever I needed to stop. I assumed at that time it was me stalling the bike, eventhough I never had that problem with the bikes in the MSF. After riding for a while this problem would go away. One night while practicing in an empty parking lot the bike stopped even after all of the above. I noticed it was leaking gas, not a lot, but dripping and it was definitely gas. I started it again, but then white smoke starting coming out of the left exhaust, only. Then it died completely and I had to push it home like a couple of miles. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the carburuetor, the gas tank, the battery and a few other small things. All went well for a few months and then on a ride once again the bike just cut off at a stoplight, this time out of the blue. This time on a street, luckily I was able to get it up on the sidewalk and out of the incoming traffic. The bike started back up again, but would begin to sputter if I didn't keep the revs high. I was able to make it back home without having to stop. It stopped again as I was waiting for the gate to open into my apt. complex and I have not been able to start it since then. The lights are still functioning, and it sounds as if the motor is turning over when I attempt to start, but it won't "fire" if that makes any sense to you. I would appreciate any help/advice you guys have to offer. The first service charge cost almost as much as the bike was worth, so I don't want to go the dealer route again. TIA.

·
Registered
990 Posts
First do a couple of basic checks for fuel & spark.

I assume there is fuel in the tank...

If you try to start it, if it does not start, pull a plug & see if it is wetted with fuel or if the exhaust or plug smells of fuel. In theory as they have replaced the tank & carbs fuelling should not be a problem.

Then resting the plug with contact on a metal surface on the engine, turn over the engine to see if you get a spark at the plug. Be careful how you hold the plug so you don't get a shock off the ignition.

Let us know how you get on.

Being in England I gotta go get some sleep, so if anyone else wants to jump in to help, feel free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts