Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the bike a few weeks ago. The bike ran perfect for the first week and a half. The other day I drove it 20 miles, ran perfect. Got on it to go back home(20 miles), made it about half way home before the bike started to struggle and sputter and eventually died. Wouldn't start for about 5 minutes until I gave it full choke. Did this 2 more times before getting towed home. Friend put his bike battery charger/tester on it, it ran alright but was flooded somewhat, and idled fine for about 5-8 minutes. Showed 14.1 volts charging. As soon as the cables were pulled off the bike died and wouldn't start. So I went out and got a new battery, charged it up, and tried to ride it today. Same thing, wouldn't start, struggled alot, ran rich, and thenhad to put on full choke. Drove it to the end of my neighborhood where it died again. Started it up drove it about a mile, before it died again. Full choke, this time turned fuel valve to RES instead of ON, and it seemed to run better. Drove to school fine, drove to work fine. Got on it after work, started fine, ran fine for a mile then it died. Turned on RES again and full choke, started it and rode it home. The whole way home it felt like it was being choked and something was dragging it down. Can anybody please help me. This is my only way of transportation and I just bought it, I just want to enjoy riding it instead of having problems. I feel like its a fuel/spark problem, but I really have no idea. It's an '02 Kawasaki ZX6R btw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, haven't checked it and not sure how to get to it. This is my first bike ever. Does it sound like a fuel or spark issue??

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know if it is a fuel or spark problem. It seems that you solved the problem by having the tap on reserve though, check the fuel tank and tap. Putting the choke on might just make it worse. The choke makes the bike run lean until the engine warms up then makes the bike run rich when the engine is hot. I would try running the bike on reserve but without the choke.

You could check if all the cylinders firing? Start the bike cold and see if all the headers are getting hot. You might have to change the plugs now too.

Bit late now but cleaning the fuel tank is one of the things you should always do when you buy a second hand bike, regardless from a shop or not.

Good luck, Pete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the best way to clean the tank?? Is it pretty straight forward as far as pulling the tank, draining the gas, and so forth?? I'm starting to feel that its the carbs or something to that effect. Rode it this morning with a LOT of hesitation and surging, just feels like its low on power. Finally died on me, I put some gas in it, turned the fuel supply valve back to ON and it started up but seemed like it was "choked"(not the actual choke on the bike). After pulling out of the gas station it kept idling at 3k rpms. When I started it up first thing this morning (about 6:00am) there was alot of white smoke coming out of it which tells me its running lean. I don't know much about carbs and tuning/cleaning them so if somebody could point me in the right direction of a writeup of some sort with pics i would really appreciate it. I guess I'm just gonna go down the list: clean carbs, change oil, change plugs, change air filter, clean gas tank, and replace fuel filter. If all of that doesn't do it then I'll just take it somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changed the plugs with the o.e. spec ngk's, changed the oil and filter, cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the fuel filter, washed out the air filter, problems are still there. The bike falls on its face when you give it gas and gurgles and hesitates bad now. The old plugs were NGK iridiums and the were completely black and wet with gas. I have no clue what to do, anyone got any more suggestions??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts