Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ookaaay so I zx9ve a 1998 zx9 25,000 miles on it. Had a brain fart while changing the oil over filled it by a lot bike ended up having around 8 quarts in it. After changing the oil I took it for a spin ran great for a while then started smoking a bit. Thought hmm weird so I drive to the next scenterg center bike started pouting huge thick clouds of smoke then it hit me. Holy crap I'm an idiot and forgot to drain from the drain plug bike continued pouring smoke then sputtered out and died. Bike wont start now. Started leaking oil to. Sooo ya my question is what now. Any ideas what happened or what I need to do I tore the bike down a bit drained the fluids cleaned the carbs wich were full of oil. New spark plugs wich were.also coveres in oil. I sucked the oil out of the spark plug wells. Put it all back and still wont start. The starter motor sounds like its just spinning it just makes a faint buzzing noise. Any help appreciated. Im desperate for any imput on what to do and the damage I did. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Holy crap I'm an idiot... bike continued pouring smoke then sputtered out and died.
how in the hell did you put 8 quarts in you bike??? and why didnt you stop when your bike started pouring smoke??? not trying to be a dick about it but seriously???

regardless, over filling the oil to the extreme can cause the crankshaft to blend your oil and start to foam causing a lack in lubrication... from the sounds of it, if you starter is not turning the motor over than your starter clutch is fried... the bad news is you will have to split the crankcase to fix it... you can try push starting it to get it running though

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow.. well im not exactly sure whats causing it not to start, since im not there with the bike to tear it apart, but if you overfill the motor with oil, then the crank will beat the oil into a thick bubbly mess.. kinda like after beating eggs for baking.

oil circulation will be harder to achieve. and will cause a whole lot of headaches.

Im guessing the smoke has a bluish tint.. Do a compression check on it.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
how in the hell did you put 8 quarts in you bike??? and why didnt you stop when your bike started pouring smoke??? not trying to be a dick about it but seriously???

regardless, over filling the oil to the extreme can cause the crankshaft to blend your oil and start to foam causing a lack in lubrication... from the sounds of it, if you starter is not turning the motor over than your starter clutch is fried... the bad news is you will have to split the crankcase to fix it... you can try push starting it to get it running though
Im pretty sure what he meant was "all said and done" the bike had 8qts in it,he neglected to drain the old oil,then put another 4qts in it,resulting in 8qts?

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Drain all the oil,install new oil filter,add new oil (how much oil the bike needs) 3.5-3.7 liters ?,rip them carbs out and clean them,reinstall them and hope for the best?

·
Registered
36 Posts
no oil pressure? rings burned up or you spun some bearings ? do a compression check and find out if the rings/valves are good.. i dont think you can fix the bike without tearing the engine apart.

Good luck bro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts