Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I've come to the decision to change the rubber and the oil on my '00 6r...
This will be my first experience with the mechanics on a motorcycle, considering this is my first bike. I've looked through the service manual and have a general idea of what I'll be doing. But, I was wondering for you veterans out there, is there any advice you can give for getting the tyres off, or a better way to change the oil & filter? :sperm

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd leave the tires to the tire place. The have the equipment. Can balance them. Wash the mould agent off them and give them a little scuffing.

One of those oil filter removal tools make life easy and also enable using a tension wrench to correctly torque the new filter.

Spark plugs are ok but a pain. Be careful not to cross thread the new ones.
Be careful if the "00 model has stick coils. ie don't force things.

A mechanic said that if you're going to take the plugs out to clean and gap the it was cost effective to just put new ones in.

Rear swing arm stand is handy. Being a scunge I made a front steering stem lift (see Anderson lifts) and a welded two scissor jacks together to copy the Kawasaki one in the manual.

Some good sockets, allen keys ( the long and short ones) etc. Not too much of the good old Crescent universal spanner.

I did the 6000 km services on my '99 model but all I can get away with on the new one is oil and filter changes as its still under warranty.

gammac

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with the tires. I've replaced enough tires myself to know its a bitch of a job and hard to do with out scratching the rims. I always take the wheel off the bike and take it to the dealer because I just find it less hassle than dropping the whole bike off. If I drop a wheel off in the morning they always have it done before noon where if I drop off the bike it doesn't get done till the end of the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts