Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 91 11C and the second gear falls out when throttle is applied and goes back into neutral. Heard it's a common problem on these models. Anyone else had issues? Possible repairs? Help.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
From what you describe, the engagement dogs are worn/ broken. It is commonly second gear as it is the victim of the harshest shift.
Repair will involve removal of motor, split cases and install a new gear set (2 gears required).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Agree with ninjanut. I had the exact same problem with my 91 and had to split the cases and change both gears.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Do the shift drum while your in there , Lot of ZRX's with trans problems didn't and ended up doing it after a couple thousand miles . Nothing that shows up visibly just happens

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
In most motorcycle gearboxes, neutral is between 1st and 2nd, making for the longest shift throw and usually the largest jump between ratios, so 2nd takes more abuse than the rest and is usually first to give up the ghost in normal use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I have a 91 11C and the second gear falls out when throttle is applied and goes back into neutral. Heard it's a common problem on these models. Anyone else had issues? Possible repairs? Help.

Patrick
About two weeks ago my 91 zx11 started having similar symptoms. I figured I'd ride it and shift straight from 1st to 3rd. I thought it was the clutch until I realized it only slipped in 2nd. I tried to replicate it in other gears, but it didn't happen.
Then about 10 days ago my front sprocket came off on the freeway at 70 mph. The chain was intact. Sprocket was gone. I'm putting new sprockets and chain on it tonight along with a new nut and lock washer.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a loose sprocket and a worn out chain was causing my issue, but it seems unlikely and it is most likely a coincidence that 2nd gear is going out and a week later the sprocket comes off.
No harm in checking!! Watch my thread on the subject to see the outcome for my bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a new chain and sprockets on my bike and the symptoms of second gear slipping are still there. I suspect the jolting of the chain on the sprocket when it slipped in and out of gear may have contributed to the sprocket coming off on the freeway. Just keep an eye on the front sprocket if you intend riding while it is bucking in second. I'm just going to avoid second gear as much as possible until I can fix it. Drain and replace your oil and filter to get any shards of metal out that may have recently broken off when the gear finally started giving up on you. Pour the oils through a strainer with a magnet sitting in it to see what metal may be in there.
I am looking for answers too if anyone has advice on how to best ride and care for the bike while it is in this condition since it won't get fixed anytime soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don’t you have the washer underneath the front sprocket nut that you bend up to prevent the nut from coming loose? It should be almost impossible with proper torque/washer for that sprocket to come off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’m talking about the mangled looking washer in this pic. You bend it up to sit flush against the side(s) of the nut.

But to answer your question, I rode a ZX-6 with second gear issues for hundreds of miles and just made sure to make a nice positive shift to skip second. Annoying, but it works.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Need to replace trans with one out of a d model. i can repair and recut the bad gears. you also want to replace any bad shift forks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts