Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ZX6R J1 with a Yoshimura RS-3 Exhaust, wrapped from the header all the way back to the can, and a K&N drop in air filter.

I cleaned the carbs and put them back together how I found them, only change I made was to put 1 shim underneath the needle seat, because the needles I have don't have different clip positions.

I'm reasonably certain I'm running pretty lean, since it runs better in warmer weather, and takes a few seconds to return to idle.

I'm having a problem with it bogging out between about 5500 and 10k RPMs, at most throttle openings.

I'm thinking I need one size bigger main jets, shim the needles further, and adjust float heights/pilot screw.

Am I on the right track here?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so, ive been riding the bike more, and its acting even weirder to me now. it starts with no choke, but I have to blip the throttle even when the engine is warm to get it to start.

it bogs between 4500 rpm and about 8 or 9000 rpm, and when it will shoot flames at redline

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm more use to dirtbike carbs but the putting in those shims, does that lean the bike out. that bog sounds like it's starving for gas. maybe you didn't clean the carb well enough or the shim leaned it out.

as for the bike taking a little while to come down on idle, how's your air/fuel mixture?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shimming the needles is supposed to richen the midrange/ mid throttle.

I picked up a couple 160 jets at my local bike shop, and my buddy has some needle shims. I'm gonna throw the 160s in the center carbs and the stock 157.5s in the outer two, which would make it one step richer on all 4 carbs

Also going to do the Kleen-Air mod while I have it back apart and check all my wiring.

Definitely need to sync the carbs, but I need to get this leaning out issue taken care of asap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts