Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Satellite radio is actually only a small part of my question. Basically I'm wondering how hard it would be to put a power outlet on my bike? That I could plug in my Satellite radio or an I-pod. Also could it handle something like a set of fog lights??? How much extra load can the average sportbike take, and if anyone has specific knowledge about an old 86' like mine that'd be great to.

P.s. New chain and Sprockets are in, now just a windscreen and I'm ready for this snow to go away!... course that'll take 4 months...

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may sound stupid, I am glad I am not the only one. I mounted my PDA to my motorcycle, still finishing up the mounts. I use it for GPS when I ride out in no man land. I can also use bluetooth head phones to jam out on. Yes it is entirley possible to put on a power plug. You will need to do it VIA a relay system. real easy. I could probably walk you through it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jdawg that would be awesome! I'd love any advice that you can give me! I'm hoping to do some longer trips this summer (8-14 hours) and having a power outlet would make that much more enjoyable! Do yah wanna post it? OR perhaps just PM me???

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know about your '86 1000 specifically but a lot of the mid '80s Kawasakis have an 'Electrical Accessories Lead' under the seat. This lead is already wired to the battery with a 10 amp fuse. All my GPz550s had them. We used to use them for electric gloves/vests.

Two things to keep in mind. 1) This power is not routed through the key so if you leave your whatever turned on you could kill the battery. To make it switched power use a relay as stated above.
2) Just because it has a 10 amp fuse doesn't mean your charging system can handle an extra 10 amp load. This really isn't an issue if your just talking about electronics like GPS, radar detector etc. But electric heating and/or fog lights are another matter.

Also for radar detectors (GPS) and the like I've always just tapped into one of the front turn signal running light leads. The wires are up front by the instruments and the power is already switched with the key and fused such that it can handle another 1/2 amp from whatever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
pm me, I will give you my number. you are going to laugh at how easy this is

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always use a fuse/relay system. If it were my bike, I would tap off of the battery to power up the relay. Then I would tap off of the headlight power to switch the relay of, I would use a diode coming off of the headlight. One way power is better than 2-way power. I did the same thing tapping power for my PDA. I run a T-Mobile MDA with a Bluetooth GPS receiver for Pocket streets. I is accurate as hell. I turned on my sattelite settings doing a hondo, kicked it up to 120 and the GPS readings were dead on the money. I use it for riding in the boonies. It automatically updates things like diners, GAS STATIONS, I can see street level.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey that's great stuff guys! I did for a while have a set of foglights hooked up right off the battery and they seemed to work just fine, although at one point they did make a 'funny' noise so I unhooked them for fear of hurting something. How much of an extra load do you figure I'd be safe putting on the system?

As soon as I get to where my bike is stored I'll definately be looking for the Electrical Accessories Lead, how handy is that! If not it sounds like it's not to difficult to just "steal" some current from elsewhere.

So now that I know this, anyone know where I can get the female end of a Cigarette lighter??? Auto Wreckers perhaps?

Here's another question, built into my Tach I have a Voltage Meter that activates when I push a button. When my bike is at Idle it reads between 10 and 12 volts, but when I get up to speed it reads at 14 volts. Do I have to worry about damaging my accessories with this jump in power???

Allright, that's it for now, Lots' of questions, but you guys have such great answers! Thanks again,
Drew~

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do I have to worry about damaging my accessories with this jump in power???
Drew... No more than you worry about plugging additional accessories into you car. As your car's voltage also rises when the motor is generating power.

Good luck with it all... it sounds as though JDawg has you under control.

4 months.... Dammit!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts