Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a ZX 7R (N 96) and a promblem which 3 garages have been unable to solve. The bike will start cold, run fine but when I stop, and it seems to make no difference if its 2 miles or 100 it wont start again. If I put a bit of choke on and bump it it will start up again. The bike runs fine once its up and running. So far the work done has been carbs and tank drained and cleaned, then it was up jetted by another garage as it was running to lean, plugs now good but still have the problem. Also, it backfires when it starts again, (non standard exhaust). Whatever the garages are doing its not re creating the problem, or my bike has a serious attitude problem with me!
I'm getting fed up with this now as my commute involves a fuel stop and a bump start/loud bang off the forecourt!
Any takers on this one???
:banghead

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
flooding carbs?

·
Registered
683 Posts
My friend had a Suzuki that acted like this. It sounds like it runs really lean. He also put bigger jets in it but didn't solve the problem. Check that all the intake manifolds and rubber boots to the airbox are intact and tight. Look for major vacuum leaks in or around the intake. THis might not be the problem, but you can check on these issues without having to spend any money. Also, is the battery new or old? When I hit the starter button on my ninja the motor would turn over fine, plenty fast enough by the sound of it, but wouldn't start. With the new battery it starts instantly.
T

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm thinking like Kawi_T: all the electrics and battery/solenoid connections are OK? Sidestand safety switch, clutch safety switch, weak volt reg?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, well I dont think its the carbs been flooded as I still need a little choke, even after up jetting and the bike running when I bump it. The battery sounds good and was replaced not so long ago. Air leaks, I dont think anyones gone down that road with it yet. Its in the garage now, only problem is it wont play up for them. I will pop in tommorrow and pass on all your ideas.
Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts