Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is running like its on three cylinders. Sounds horrible. Swapping out plugs, air filter and fuel filter. Going to look at the carb, its all original with only 5k on the bike. So I am guessing a rebuild kit may be in order. Do you all have any other thoughts to look at.?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check the resistance through the Kill Switch as any resistance in there will drop the voltage to the stick coils when they fire, just checking the voltage at the stick coils will not help as it will show battery voltage and only when the coil fires will the voltage drop, but this will be too quick for you to notice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I ourchased all the stuff to redo the tune up, plugs, filters....etc...etc... Ill also check the coils.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Telling us that the bike is "running like garbage" doesn't give us much to help you diagnose the problem. Does it idle properly? Will it take throttle input? Where in the power range does the problem seem to worsen? Have you checked for wet/fouled plugs? May be as simple as a plugged jet/jets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar issues, idling on three cylinders but picking up after about 3k rpm. I took cylinder out one by one by taking the coil off to figure out wat cylinder was not firing, cleaned idle circuit on the carb and runs fine now. Might also want to look for vacuum leaks. Two years ago had similar issues but the cause was too much gas because one carb was flooding with gas. I diagnosed this by hotwireing the fuelpump, if it keeps pumping for more than about 10 seconds or you start to see gas seeping trough somewhere that's your issue.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I would start with a complete carb overhaul and then a carb sync.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked thw plugs, they were wet and fouled, a carb clean it is. Its an older bike and I am guessing the carbs have not been apart. I was thinking the rebuild kit with all new seals instead of just the clean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts